Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 02-11-2019, 12:33 PM   #1
bcs001
Bruce

Mud Bed Shower Pan Over Old Hardwood Flooring

Another part of my renovation project involves building a 48"x52" shower pan over a reconfigured bathroom floor plan which has old hardwood flooring I was going to leave in place and build on top of.

Plan is to attach metal lath down to the hardwood and build on top, just as if it were a plywood subfloor. Structure underneath is 2x10 on 16" centers, 1x6 diagonal plank subfloor and 3/4" hardwood.

Any issues?

Thanks.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:45 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Tiled things and hardwoods don't work well together.

WEre you also planning to tile outside of the shower? Again, hardwood isn't an approved material. IT literally just moves too much with seasonal changes and tile doesn't like movement.

CBU is primarily a compatibility thing for the tile to bond to, not a great isolator if the substrate isn't correct.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:03 PM   #3
bcs001
Bruce

Good point about tongue and groove hardwoods moving with temp and humidity. I could put down a 1/4" CBU then start the curb and pre slope on top of that.

Would that provide enough isolation from the wood? If this is acceptable, is lathe still needed under the pre slope?

We are planning to keep and refinish the hardwoods outside the shower....yes, I know hardwoods in a bathroom probably isn't the best choice but my better half really wants to keep the old flooring so we will see how it holds up.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:22 PM   #4
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome, Bruce.

I would very strongly recommend you cut out the hardwood and install a minimum of nominal 1/2" exterior glue plywood over the board subflooring, then your cleavage membrane and expanded metal lath and mud pre-slope.

Nail-down hardwood flooring is installed very specifically to allow for the movement that will take place. You really don't want that under your tile installation.

If you don't want to install the plywood, you can start with a mud bed directly on a cleavage membrane directly on top of your board subflooring, but that mud bed must begin with a minimum thickness of 1 1/4" with welded wire mesh in the vertical center. And even that type of installation presumes that the board subfloor be perpendicular to the joists, but I wouldn't be afraid to cheat that with your diagonal placement for a shower receptor installation.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:31 PM   #5
bcs001
Bruce

Great info as always. Im early enough in the project that I can take out the hardwood and put down 3/4 ply. Will just need to to re-do the drain my plumber installed when he re-piped the house.

Will 15lb felt paper suffice for a cleavage membrane?
Old 02-11-2019, 07:43 PM   #6
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yes it will.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase