Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 08-15-2019, 08:18 PM   #1
TylerTile
TylerTile

Dewalt D2400 Saw Problem. Grabbing/Jerking

First off, I've searched the internet and this forum and can't find any examples of someone else experiencing the same issue.

About 2 weeks ago my saw started gripping and pulling the tray towards me. Similar to if you are cutting hard tile too fast and the saw jerks the tile away from you. It does this for the entire cut except the last few inches of the cut. I hope I was able to explain what is happening good enough.

My blade isn't the newest, but isn't old either. I've lived up tray wheels taken blade off, put it back on. I am stumped. Oh, also it doesnt do this to really small tile. I. E cuts 3x6 subway tile normally.

I have video, but was unable to upload

Thanks

Last edited by TylerTile; 08-15-2019 at 08:43 PM.
TylerTile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2019, 09:14 PM   #2
Jeff Bingham
J Co Tile - Sandy, UT

Have you tried a different blade? I've never experienced this problem unless you're pushing tile through too fast.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 08-15-2019, 09:42 PM   #3
CaliGrown

Check and Adjust your blade depth. And see if your blade’s at a 90 to the cutting table
Old 08-15-2019, 10:02 PM   #4
Jeff Bingham
J Co Tile - Sandy, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrown View Post
Check and Adjust your blade depth. And see if your blade’s at a 90 to the cutting table
Good comment. If the blade is too low it could be cutting into the tray and jerking it away from you.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2019, 07:24 PM   #5
Just In Tile LLC

I've had the blade pull when I've bent the blade. Some blades its easy to do so I always let my helper know when I buy a new one. The most common reason I find is when you cut very small cuts or cut-off near the edge of the tile and go too quickly, the blade deflects off the tile and it can wobble it for the rest of the blade life. Another way is to move the tile once the blade has entered the cut and the blade is under pressure one way or another as it cuts. It's all about letting the blade cut.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:26 PM   #6
Just In Tile LLC

One way to check your blade is to start and stop the saw and site the blade as it slows down. You'll see the wobble.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:28 PM   #7
Just In Tile LLC

Here’s some cuts-offs I had a couple days ago, when the blade and saw are fine tuned it won’t break your cut offs.... well sometimes they break regardless
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2019, 09:54 AM   #8
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

All good comments. The edge of the blade where the diamond is must be wider than the rest of the blade or it will pinch and grab. Even if the diamond isn't worn all the way down, if it wears enough on the sides, it will grab and you'll need to get a new blade.

But, like the others said, make sure the tray is sliding square with the blade. If it's going in at an angle, it'll want to grab. I use a large speed square (12 inch) or even a framers square on my large saw to check this.

Make sure and buy a blade that's made for the material you're cutting. Some guys will buy the cheaper blade made for ceramic and wonder why it doesn't last very long when cutting porcelain tile.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase