Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 08-15-2019, 12:29 PM   #1
speed51133

Can I get a sanity check for a price quote?

I am helping my parents remodel their 10ft x 12ft floor with 8ft ceiling master bath.

I am demo-ing out everything down to studs and plywood. I am also locating all the plumbing drains/supplies to the proper location. I am installing all shower valves/trim. I will install the toilet, the vanity, the counter/sink, the mirror, all lighting, and the freestanding tub/tub spout.

The bathroom currently has marble on all flooring and ALL walls. There is one bay window where the sill is tiled.

I am having a tile installer set all floor tile and all wall tile. This includes installing substrate (drywall) on the walls and a decoupling membrane on the floor. The installer will also construct the shower. The shower is made from a 4ftx4ft tray and a 16in x 4ft foam bench (all USG).

This is located in a Milwaukee suburb of a mix of multi-million dollar homes and $400,000 MAJOR fixer-uppers from the 60's and all that is inbetween. I would appreciate your professional opinions if it is fair. I think it all looks OK except for the drywall, but I have never priced out shimming/flattening out studs in addition to drywall hanging.

The tile is 2ftx4ft. I am supplying ALL fixtures and the tiles. Shower floor is 2x2 hex. All porcelain. All other materials (mortar, membranes, foam boards, grout, caulk) is supplied by tile contractor.

Two-Wall Corner Shower
Install Approx 75sf of Tile substrate and Tile. Price Includes USG Board, Presloaped Shower Pan, Drain, Mortar and Grout.
$2,950 (Save $350 if 12x24 tile is used.)

Tile Floor 50-75sf
Install Tile and Tile substrate. Price Includes Uncoupling Membrane, mortar and grout.
$1,450.00

Install Wall Tile
Install tile on wall surface. Tile all walls to the ceiling. Cut around windows, doors, closet, and hydronic heating. Price includes premium mortar based thinset and grout.
$6,450 (Save $550 if 12x24 tile is used.)

Drywall
Drywall labor and materials.
Plane and shim walls for square flat walls. Install drywall on all previously tiled walls. Patch ceiling where toilet partial wall was removed. Blend texture.
$2,800.00

Full Bench
Install Tile on pre-made foam full bench (includes bench).
$700.00

Total $14,350.00

Last edited by speed51133; 08-15-2019 at 01:13 PM.
speed51133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2019, 01:27 PM   #2
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

It doesn't look unreasonable to me. All wall tiled ? Outside of shower. Is that roughly 10*8 for 2 walls and 12*8 for two walls minus shower?
I can see how 2×4' tile would cost more.
It took me 4 hours to square and shim my walls in a 4x5 shower. It is worth the time.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:58 PM   #3
speed51133

all walls are tiled with the 2ftx4ft tile. in the shower, out of the shower the same.

your calcs are about correct, minus the door to get in/out of the bathroom and a bay window. the window has about 10in on each side of it to tile and about 1 foot above and 1ft below it. Plus the window sill which is about a foot.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:32 PM   #4
ZZZK

Mike 2'x4' tile is quite a beast to work with. This will also require exceptionally flat floors and walls to come out looking right. The prices seem quite reasonable to me as well for a good tile pro.
Old 08-15-2019, 06:27 PM   #5
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

I would charge extra for a door and a bay window especially with big tile. In fact not very many doors have ever been installed Square enough for 2 x 4 tile. I'm thinking a 2x4 would weigh about 30#. I felt like a kid in a China store with one by twos I would sure want the saw in the Next Room no matter what I had to do to protect the area

Last edited by Elkski; 08-15-2019 at 09:12 PM.
Elkski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:55 PM   #6
Kman

The 2x4 porcelain tiles I set weighed right at 47 pounds, if my memory serves correctly.

They require plenty of work space, and a large flat surface to lay them face down so you can get mortar on the back of every tile.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 10:05 PM   #7
CaliGrown

Currently doing a job with ‘em. Take your typical time frame and double it, that gets you close to being right on. For example, after all my prep work of getting everything level and flat, I spent one and a half days handling, laying out and cutting out the floor before setting anything in the afternoon. Unless each tile is the same then these jobs take time getting the pattern to flow and ensuring everything is right. I think the price is fair so long as the project delivery is turnkey every step of the way.
Attached Images

Last edited by CaliGrown; 08-16-2019 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Typo and add picture
CaliGrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase