Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 08-15-2019, 05:35 AM   #226
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

Well I'm a little embarrassed about how plain my shower looks compared to some of the beautiful travertine patterns that some people have posted and I see on the internet. I was aiming for a clean relaxing Spa look that is easy to maintain. I chose to mount the shower bar into the stud.
The linear drain looks good with the grate in position. But I did notice one Design defect in the drain housing when I was drilling the holes in the tile and the colored liquid entered the drain at one end I was dismayed to find that the drain body housing is not draining both ends. With surface tension of water it appears 1/4 inch of water can sit in each end of the drain housing without flowing to the drain Center hole.. I cant double-check now with the top piece on. but I swear my drain flange was laser level within 1/16 of an inch over 60"! Did I let the center bpush up higher? or is this a manufactured result? I thought for sure my Plumbing had extra room to go down when I glued it . To meet code to drain really should have a quarter inch slope per foot just like the floors are supposed to have.
Attached Images

Last edited by Elkski; 08-15-2019 at 05:41 AM.
Elkski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 06:21 AM   #227
Lou_MA

Looks great teddy, congrats

I’m on a project where I installed a Kerdi line drain. I’ll have to check the slope, or lack of, in the drain trough. I thought I recall it being flat(ter) compared to the QuickDrain brand, but I don’t remember.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:50 AM   #228
makethatkerdistick

Teddy, looks great!

I wouldn't worry about the residual water in the channel. It's 316 SS and will not rust out in a hundred years. I have residual water in mine, not as much though. Mine is from surface adhesion mostly. Regardless, both yours and mine will remain wet for extended periods. And they're obviously designed to withstand that. Maybe yours flexed a little during installation? 1/4 in is a bit more than I would expect. And yes, those channel bodies have a miniscule pitch compared to the standard pitch in shower construction.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:12 AM   #229
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

I suspect if you sprayed some "Clean Shower" (a surfactant) in the channel it would noticeably reduce surface tension. Those drains have minimal slope, presumably to keep overall height to a minimum.

I recommend it to clients as a means to extend shower cleaning intervals. Beyond showers I have sprayed it in sinks and bathtubs with good result.

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 01:47 PM   #230
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

Yes it wont rust. I haven't tested the shower sprays yes since I just grouted that bottom glass 18 hours ago and no door yet.
Countertop guy has my granite slab and mailbox full and has not replied to texts for 6 days? Countertops a few baseboards a shower door put on the ditra heat thermostat and this room is operational.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase