Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-30-2020, 01:51 PM   #1
marcak907
Marcus

Hi guys got a real dumb question for ya.

It's been a good 7 months since I've been able to do tile due to life and schtuff. So I'm bidding a pretty nice little job right now and for the life of me I cannot remember if shower and tub surround backer board install is included in the tile installation price. All of 2020's craziness has mademe soft in the brain obviously.

It's a floor to ceiling shower surround and a mush smaller tub surround, with the exception of one wall.

While I'm at the idiotic questions does the same apply to floor backer board as far as pricing goes? I easily remember most of of my stuff but I don't know where these particular brain cells went.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk
Unread 06-30-2020, 01:57 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

It is if you include it, Marcus, it's not if you don't.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2020, 02:02 PM   #3
marcak907
Marcus

Would you be able to give me an example of either situation? I've been stuck doing everything BUT tile for eight months now so any help I very much appreciated.

Unread 06-30-2020, 02:05 PM   #4
marcak907
Marcus

Suppose I'll go about it like flooring and include the price of underlayment in an install cost. If I wasted anyone time sorry sorry that. I almost didn't make it through winter so I'm still trying to fully boot back up.

Unread 06-30-2020, 02:09 PM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

The site is here to answer questions about ceramic tile installations, Marcus. You're not wasting anyone's time. Well, 'cept maybe your own sometimes, but you gotta be the one determines that, eh?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2020, 02:44 PM   #6
smifwal

I include everything (backer board,screws,waterproofing,drain,grate,thinset, silicone, grout, trim metals) except the tile and the shower doors. Replacing the shower valve is extra. I will let the customer do the demo but not the prep. Prep is normally included unless it is extensive( rotten floor/studs) if they didn't haggle with me on the original estimate price I will normally just repair what needs it, so I can keep on trucking. Demo is separate on the estimate in case they want to do it themselves.
Unread 06-30-2020, 03:22 PM   #7
marcak907
Marcus

I am of the same thought as you are, materials asides all labor included in the price. Vertical surfaces such as showers go for around $15 sf around here and it appears to be a pretty simple job (yeah we'll see!) so it seems as though the backer install prices should be good included in that install quote. Man I'm looking forward to doing more tile again, light remodel work just gets boring and old and rusts my precious tile skills!

Unread 06-30-2020, 03:29 PM   #8
marcak907
Marcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cx View Post
The site is here to answer questions about ceramic tile installations, Marcus. You're not wasting anyone's time. Well, 'cept maybe your own sometimes, but you gotta be the one determines that, eh?
Thanks, it's much appreciated. There are other tile groups out there that seem to want to make fun of others more than help them out. I'm glad this forum is here, I started moving into tile out of a 20 year flooring career a couple years back and as I mentioned this winter was almost completely void of tile work for me so I've got a lot of catching up to do.

Unread 06-30-2020, 04:28 PM   #9
marcak907
Marcus

So another first for me on this install is that the shower is going to be curb less and perhaps have a ramp to the showers. The homeowner is wheelchair bound. I've asked mud pan questions before here and got some great answers.

I'm wondering if a Kerdi Pan would be a good idea if it's going to ramp down to the floor. The dimensions are 60” * 38". I'm trying to decide if I should be build my own pan or go with a pre fab? Would a standard pan be too high I wonder? The schluter vids make some real good points such as having a flush hight from pan to floor. Of course I'd then have to use all Kerdi products wouldn't I? I've no issues with that I'm just much more experienced with hardibacker products.

Unread 06-30-2020, 04:35 PM   #10
marcak907
Marcus

I really would like to get more experience building my own pans again. Trying to figure out what's best for both myself and the client. He's not super picky, real cool old dude I want to make sure everything is done to the absolute best I can.

Unread 06-30-2020, 09:00 PM   #11
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

If you want it custom sized for you, you might get in touch with Paul Luccia, a long-time contributor here... https://builtwithfoam.com/

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2020, 09:41 PM   #12
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

A lot of manufacturers make ramps for their showers but I've never put one in before. You might look into the Wedi Ligno system. It's a curbless foam shower pan system. Schluter probably has a similar system but I don't know the name of it.

New DIYTileGuy blog post: Flood testing a shower pan: Why it's done and how to do it
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase