Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-10-2011, 12:03 PM   #1
rambo1224

Removing Large Porcelain Tiles

I have 18X18 polished porcelin tiles that were put down (on top of ditra) in my entire 1st floor. Unfortunately, the tiiles are not available anymore and I have the need to replace some of the ones that were damaged. What I want to do is remove all the tiles from one room (without breaking them all) and use them as replacements. Once I removed one of the tiles, I was hoping there was some type of tool or blade that I could use to cut thru the thinset.
Once the thinset was cut away from the tile, I could grind the excess off of it and re-use the tile.
Has anybody had any success with a tool or method for getting the tiles up without breaking?

Thanks!
Unread 06-10-2011, 12:57 PM   #2
bbcamp

Rob, if you set those tiles right, you don't stand much chance of getting any of them up un-broken. Tiles are meant to stay down.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase