Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-16-2003, 08:40 AM   #1
mtsgsd

Anyone recognize this saw?

I've been browsing ebay looking for a deal and found this saw.
Does anyone have any idea who the maker might be? I haven't heard back from the seller yet, but I thought someone here might recognize it and give an opinion. Price seems decent for what it's supposed to be capable of. Thanks!

10" tile saw
mtsgsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-16-2003, 09:31 AM   #2
kemguru
Colorado Chemist

hummmm......specs and price look good. I would be concerned about accuracy, but if thats on, and you are not looking to use that saw every day (ie not for a living) it may not be a bad gig. He has a 99.7% positive feedback review from over 300 customers. The 15 day warranty stinks, but use the hell out of it as soon as you get it, break it, and send for a new one

I am a strong believer in professional quality materials and equipment
kemguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2003, 11:13 AM   #3
mtsgsd

QEP?

It appears to be identical to Q.E.P tile saws. The seller says that these are direct from the manufacturer and are "unbranded".

Big assumption saying these are QEP, but if so, what would that say about quality? Very tempting, but I'm trying to research this as much as possible.

Thanks,
Mike
Unread 04-16-2003, 11:56 AM   #4
jerrym4

majdic36

Looks similar but not quite like this one....

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=46225
jerrym4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2003, 12:04 PM   #5
mtsgsd

Now that one I do know about. I've yet to hear anything good about the Chicago Electric tools that harbor freight sells. Looks like there's a lot of QEP bashing on this forum, so if it is the same saw, it might not be that great.
Unread 04-16-2003, 12:58 PM   #6
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Not sure of the Brand,what i can tell you is that i have never seen a 2 1/2HP motor that was worth anything that was that small.# of windings and size of armatures and coils have alot to do with how long a moter will last.
A good quality 2.5 HP electric motor made in america will cost you about 600.00.that should tell you something.
Now that said, If you were going to use the saw 1 time and sell it you may be fine. That is of course if it lasts through your job and through the fifteen day warranty (if that doesnt say it all,i dont know what does.)
Now My suggestion would be to spend the money, Buy a Felker(whichever size ou feel you need)Use it with confidence and either keep it and rent it out to friends and neighbors,Or sell it on Ebay or in here in our classified section.Ive seen plenty of cheap saws and can tell you that they are not worth the metal they are made from.

If you dont own a Felker,Your just playin at tile!!
Unread 04-16-2003, 01:52 PM   #7
andyl
Products Manager, Felker/Target Tile Saws

Todd is right, again (ouch!)

I will refrain from much comment because, obviously I may be a bit prejudiced, but, please look at my piece on electric motors in the library. This may be exactly the kind of situation I had in mind when writing it. We have our motors made in Ft Smith, Ar by Baldor. They use a larger frame than that in your link but are rated at 1.5hp. I am very confident we have the best motors around, but we could not in good concience rate them at 2.5hp. I would be worried about blowing breakers on 15 amp outlets, too.
andyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2003, 02:43 PM   #8
ninemile
Tile Saw Goddess

Mike, I looked into that saw (or a similar one) last year and contacted some of the sellers as to it's origin. I got concerned when they couldn't tell where to get spare parts or warranty service.

Well the motor is one thing, but I wanted to know about where I could get a spare water pump, tray parts, spindle bearings, maybe some accessories. I'm a preventive maint. kind of a gal ya see and every seller I contacted said "you don't need anything" or they plain didn't know or care. So let the buyer beware!

I started wearing out 2 of the tray rollers on my lil Felker TM-75 but I wasn't worried. (But the poor saw has cut thousands of pieces very hard porcelain into different shapes, not a common type of usage) I knew I could get them right away, and probably any part for that matter on this saw from either Felker in KS, locally at my tile shop vendors or online. That matters to me and I'm really wanting the Tile Master, but my birthday isn't until NOv, so I gotta get more work!!
ninemile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2003, 05:47 PM   #9
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Well, I was going to say something, but then I read Todd, Andy and Colleen.

John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2003, 05:28 AM   #10
David Taylor

I agree with Andy that Baldor does make a good motor - I've never had any problems with them - just with the toggle switch after about 1000 hours on it

If it truly is a 2.5 hp motor (which I highly doubt), you'd be able to run it on a 15 amp breaker for about 3-7 seconds. Here's some info: Assuming that your motor had a 75% efficiency rating, you'd need approximately 2500 watts (roughly 20 amps) to run the thing. Yes, you can put through 20 amps through a 15 amp breaker, but only for a short while.

The saw does indeed look familiar. In Canada, it was distributed through Olympia Tile. A 1.5 hp version was roughly $750 ($500 of money with presidents on it) three years ago. Unfortunately the name eludes me right now. The tightening knobs on the mitre plate were a dead giveaway.

I haven't seen the saw in use down here, but it's only a matter of time I guess. Just the fact that few of us recognized it should send you a message that getting someone to fix it will be even harder.

www.tile-experts.com -- Get Schluter products, like DITRA and KERDI, plus live help!
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2003, 06:17 AM   #11
mtsgsd

Thanks for the replies people, there was a lot of interesting info.
I also assumed that the HP rating was bs, but then again, how much do you need to cut porcelain? I was mainly thinking that it was a economical way to get a saw that can diagonal cut a 12" tile. I don't see parts as being a problem with a little ingenuity. I can fix about anything (so far!). However, that last post regarding how much current it would want to draw was something I hadn't thought of. Oh well, as they say, if it looks too good to be true...
Unread 04-17-2003, 10:40 AM   #12
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

My Felker Tile Director SC is a 1 HP motor and ive cut thousands of feet of Porcelain with it(along with thousands of quarry,ceramic etc.I have replaced a 7.00 switch in 6 years of operating.

So, to answer your question"how much horsepower do you need"
Only 1/2 hp which is what the TM-75 has.Colleen(ninemile ) cuts tons of porcelain with hers
Unread 04-17-2003, 11:03 AM   #13
mtsgsd

That was a rhetorical question, as in "you obviously don't need 2.5 hp in the first place"

Just for fun, I sent an email to them asking for the stats on the motor. Wonder if they'll bother replying, as my questions imply I'm looking for something better than what they've got.
Unread 04-17-2003, 11:41 AM   #14
David Taylor

I called my store in Edmonton and got them to look at the saw. It has the brand name of KING.

Without them taking it apart, they weren't able to get you any more info on the company that makes it or their country of origin. The service record on it shows that it needed a new belt at 320 hours. That's not too bad, considering most go at about 400.

Let's hope you can get something via email froom them... they might actually have to work for your sale
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2003, 12:08 PM   #15
mtsgsd

Smile They replied!

Well I have to admit that they are very much on the ball with responding to my questions. Here's their reply:

Hi Mike,
The Motor is 15amps and is Saw duty rated.
Let me know if you have anymore questions.
Beau

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase