Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-22-2021, 10:36 AM   #1
tsizz

mortar bed repair

i have a mortar bed that is about 15 years old (tile and thinset recently removed). bed is about 1 inch thick. kitchen cabinets sit on top of the bed, not wanting to remove or replace bed. my question is: what is the best product to adhere and fill the damage on the bed (both small depressions and a few areas that are down to plywood).
Attached Images

Unread 06-22-2021, 04:51 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Is there a moisture barrier (usually tar paper or poly) and wire (usually lath or welded wire) stapled to the plywood?

In the areas I see in your picture, I'd use a filler or patching material. It's not by the book but I have used thinset before for shallow fills less than 1/4 inch. In the deeper areas, I'd vacuum any crumbs and use fresh dry pack to fill it in. Adding thinset to the edge of the old mud will help the new mud bond to the old.

Then I'd probably rub the floor lightly with a rub stone, vacuum and mop the floor and apply an anti-fracture membrane over the whole thing.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2021, 10:46 PM   #3
tsizz

Thanks Davy. There doesn’t appear to be any wire or moisture membrane under the mortar bed.

What readily available brand of filler or patching compound would you use?
Unread 06-23-2021, 12:31 AM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Avery.

Don't know what sort of material that might be on your floor, but over a wood framed subfloor there is no ceramic tile industry method of installing only one inch of mortar without a cleavage membrane and expanded metal mesh.

You're certainly free to tile over whatever you want, though.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2021, 06:39 PM   #5
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

You're better off removing the whole thing and starting over. That's the only way I'd do it if you happened to call me. I doubt you wanted to hear that so you probably need to cut lath to fit those areas and staple it every 3 inches apart. Then add the thinset around the edges and mud it with some Mapei 4 to 1 deck mud. It gets too hard for many of my uses but would probably work well for your patches. I'd still use an anti-fracture membrane over the whole floor, then cross your fingers. Again, not the way I'd do it but who knows, the floor might out live us all.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase