Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 04-29-2021, 07:33 PM   #1
khipsher

grout haze under sealed tiles

Our contractor installed honed travertine tiles, sealed, grouted with Mapei Ultracolor Plus FA grout, wiped the grout and then after drying sealed everything again.

I did not have a chance to go out to the job site until today and discovered that there was considerable grout haze left on the tiles when the final sealer went on. There are also two places where there are heavier smears that amount to a blob/blotch of grout.

Is it possible to remove grout haze once tiles have already been sealed? We are mindful that the tiles being travertine, nothing applied can be acidic.

We are to the point in a new construction build where I am so past exhausted and am very thankful to have people to reach out to with an SOS. Thank you for any help you can offer!
Unread 04-29-2021, 11:52 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi, Kathy.

I know all about the exhaustion you speak of. My response is not meant to dodge the question, but to help you. To take the exhaustion away just a little bit.

The very fastest, most efficient, least-effort to remedy this is one you might not want to hear. Or maybe you do. Whomever you have a signed contract with for the tile work (likely the general contractor) is the person you turn to. They are solely responsible for fixing. Flip it on them. Tell them you need a tile job that is not below the minimal standard of workmanship that it currently is.

By the way, I really hope you have a contract and that all the final payments haven’t been made.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2021, 09:47 AM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Kathy,

Just to be clear, the contractor you're talking about is the one building the house and not the tile contractor? The general contractor is the one to go after on this.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase