Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-14-2021, 11:52 AM   #1
fcat

Ongoing guest bathroom remodel, with questions..

Hi,
I'm in the process of re-modelling our gust bath. Have seen a polished glass mosaic that we like, however rim a bit unsure of what grout to use. Ive read a lot of places that sanded grout can scratch the glass surface but ive also read not to use un-sanded grout on anything much bigger than 1/8'. Once grouted this tile has places that have 1/4" and up to nearly 1/2" of grout. The tile will be at 5ft high on all 3 shower alcove walls. Picture enclosed of said tile.
Attached Images

Unread 01-14-2021, 11:57 AM   #2
Metropolitan Ceramics

Ultracolor Plus FA (FA stands for 'fine aggregate') from MAPEI has a smaller aggregate that is softer than typical sand found in sanded grout. It can still bridge those large grout joints but is less likely to scratch. Lowes and most tile stores carry it. Try it on some scrap pieces first to confirm that you're not getting scratches but it should do the trick.
Unread 01-14-2021, 12:08 PM   #3
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

What Dan said. Also, if those tiles are on a sheet or net, in places that have extra large joints, don't be afraid to cut them out and place them closer or add a few smaller tiles if you need to.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2021, 12:37 PM   #4
fcat

Excellent, thanks for the info! The tiles are on a mesh at the back, however, to cut them out and do them would be a heck of a long job! hoping the grout works out, thanks again
Unread 01-14-2021, 12:41 PM   #5
tunaboyy

I used Mapei Flexcolor 3d grout on glass tiles and no scratches.
Unread 01-14-2021, 01:16 PM   #6
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Si, I'm talking about in a small area. The middle of your first picture is a good example. That big tile could have been pushed over and a small tile or two added to take away the very large joints. When your joints are very wide, say 3/4 to 1 inch, the grout will wash out lower in that spot and may cause a small puddle. It's not a huge deal but some folks don't like that.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 01-14-2021, 03:48 PM   #7
fcat

Ah ok, yeah i see what you mean thanks
Unread 01-14-2021, 04:11 PM   #8
fcat

Correct layout for shower....

I'm just starting our guest bathroom shower with a standard 60" wide by 36" three sides alcove, 96" high.

I'm going to be using 24" x 12" tile and stacking them for the layout and wanted to see which is the proffered layout ? All white tiles with white grout, shower entry will be from the left hand side with shower head on the right side wall so first thing you see is the left hand side of the back wall and then the wall with shower head.

Forgive the rough drawings but hopefully you get the idea will be stacked 8 high, just drawn first layer for ease and speed.
Attached Images

Unread 01-14-2021, 05:30 PM   #9
Mathman

The correct answer will be the one you like best.
Neither seems to create slivers (small) of the tile. Now think about the height of the shower and how the tiles will fit.

Although the second one will involve a lot of cuts and you may not like the rows as you go up.

Are you sure the tiles are flat enough for a 50% offset?
Unread 01-14-2021, 05:59 PM   #10
fcat

Hi Kirk, I'm stacking them, one on top of the other, not offsetting them at all.

Last edited by fcat; 01-14-2021 at 06:12 PM.
fcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2021, 09:55 PM   #11
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi, Si.

The first layout feels unbalanced to my eye.

On the second, I see what you’re doing with the smaller tiles in the corners...it looks like a fairly large tile “folded” into the corner.

Have you considered centering one tile on the back wall with 18” tiles on either side of it? And splitting tiles on the two end walls with 18” wide tiles each? That means you’d have 18” wide tiles everywhere except for the center stack in the back wall. A little bit wasteful on tile. And that also means you’d have cut edges facing out into the bathroom on the left and right walls...something that could be hidden behind a metal profile.

Or have you considered going vertical with the tile? You’d have 12” wide tiles all the way around at 4 tiles high. You may or may not be attracted to this modern design.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2021, 07:27 AM   #12
fcat

Thanks Tool Guy!! I hadn't actually thought of what you're suggesting! The tiles are only $2 a Sq Ft so wastage etc isn't a huge problem, i was planning on doing a tile trim strip on the end too.
Only thing that puts me off your idea is having a single grout joint right down the middle of the end walls.Ive just done a rough sketch and i like the back wall for sure, and kinda like this for the side walls. For your info, this is the tile so yeah as you can see i am attracted to the modern design,lol ideally i want to pattern to flow as the tiles do match up end to end but as its just waves a lot of people don't bother matching, so where the cut side of the tile side wall butts to the end of the back wall it doesn't look too bad.

The 3rd tile picture would be the end butted up to the tile at 18" and the 4th picture is the tiles butted up end to end
Attached Images

Last edited by fcat; 01-15-2021 at 08:07 AM.
Unread 01-15-2021, 11:29 AM   #13
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I like the 18 inch tiles on each side of the back wall. Then, I would look into using the 6 inch cut off on the side wall to allow the wave in the tile to flow thru the corner. Then you would have a full tile next to the 6 inch tile and then another 6 incher.

Edit; Also, how does the trim tile look up against the end of the wave tile?

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 01-15-2021, 04:02 PM   #14
fcat

That's a great idea Davy! thanks, will try it out. Haven't tried trim up against the tile yet, may have to get slightly bigger trim due to the wavy 3d relief pattern.
Unread 01-21-2021, 03:35 PM   #15
fcat

Got started on the tile today, went with Tool Guy KG's idea of centering the middle tile, 18" either side, then starting each side wall with the off cut from the 18" ( to keep the pattern) followed by a 24 inch and then will be finished with a 5.5" one.
Attached Images

Last edited by fcat; 01-21-2021 at 03:44 PM.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase