Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-04-2014, 07:40 PM   #1
Lou_MA

Installing glass block ??'s

I'm going to be installing walls of 4" thick, 8" x 8" glass block, 5 wide by 6 high. They'll only be framed on two sides...sitting on a granite shower curb top, with a granite jamb on one side.

The blocks are Pittsburgh Corning. Reading through their instructions, the blocks are only mortared on the bottom. There's an expansion strip between the block and jamb, and a vertical anchor fastened into the curb every other row.

This seems odd to me, not having it anchored to the jamb. My plan (before reading the instructions) was to fasten brick ties through the jamb on every row, and then embed H-wire on every other horizontal row. I didn't plan on anchoring anything into the curb, just setting the bottom row into glass block mortar.

Between the brick ties, H-wire, and vertical anchors, what would be the best approach? Using all of them? Some of them?

Thanks
Unread 02-04-2014, 07:58 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

How 'bout you post a link to the product and instructions you've got, Lou, so we can all be on the same page?

I'm certainly in agreement with not anchoring into the curb with any fastener that would penetrate the waterproofing layer there, but I'm also curious to know your plan for waterproofing this glass block installation.

And six blocks high gets us only about four feet above the curb. What's above that?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2014, 08:59 PM   #3
snrusnak

Correct me if I'm wrong but I assume you'll have a short wall(studs?) under your glass block wall? Personally I wouldn't worry too much and overthink the anchoring of the glass block. The manufacturers installation instructions are for wind loads usually for exterior use. I would follow the manufacturer's instructions, but you won't have and wind loads on your shower(hopefully, anyway...)

There are also different systems, some use no anchors all around and are only caulked or mortared in, some use ties, and some use plastic/vinyl channels that the glass block recess in. I'd use a mortared system in a shower as I don't care for caulking in a wet area(seems to not hold up as well). And I wouldn't worry TOO much about anchoring to the jambs/sill, although I'd use some common sense. Putting anchors in won't hurt, it will only help, as long as you don't penetrate waterproofing as cx indicated above.
Unread 02-04-2014, 09:16 PM   #4
Lou_MA

Instructions http://pittsburghcorning.com/files/i...ion_gb-243.pdf. I was going off of Mortar method II.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CX
I'm also curious to know your plan for waterproofing this glass block installation.
I don't have any plans...so far at least. What's the typical glass block waterproofing approach? Shower construction was Hydroban over walls, floor, and curb. And the granite curb / jamb / glass block will all be set over Hydroban'd areas.

This is a residential cool-down shower, for use after a dry heat sauna. The user pulls a chain to release several gallons of cold water. The shower is a neo-angle shape, with each side 6' long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CX
And six blocks high gets us only about four feet above the curb. What's above that?
The wall will have a granite cap, and then it's open to the ceiling. Glass block is sitting on a curb about 5" high.

With the large shower footprint, and occasional shower usage, the intent was to keep the majority of splashback in the shower area. The shower head is ceiling mounted, and towards the back (farthest) corner.

Last edited by Lou_MA; 02-04-2014 at 09:21 PM.
Lou_MA is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2014, 09:42 PM   #5
Lou_MA

My oversight. I only had a partial download.

Full download of the P-C specs goes on to specify panel anchors into the jamb, as well as H-wire

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase