Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-22-2021, 11:00 AM   #1
951Michael

raising floor to be level for Marble tile

Hey tiling brothers and sisters ,

So I have a room that is 3" below height from adjacent floors that I want to level with other rooms. It is around 15 by 25 with ceramic tile on concrete floor. For one person working I think pouring concrete to raise the floor would be tough. Plan is to install 1 by 2's every 16" oc and around the perimeter by rotary hammer drilling pilot holes and screwing these pieces down. Over this will be 3/4" acx then 1/2" acx the 1/2" concrete board, then 1/2" for the tile. That should be around 3"...

What do yall think? Any other better ideas to save me time and money?
Unread 06-22-2021, 12:21 PM   #2
diddly

mud it

An experienced tile installer would mud the 15x25 area. Eco prim or primeand bond over the tile then modified thin set then set a level perimeter of dry pack 1/2 inch thick at high spot then set leaders level with the high spot and fill in and straight edge flat. Done.

When tiling avoid wood of any type if possible. Your job is perfect for a mud man.. I could just give you a mud floor flat and level and you can tile it.Thats my recommendation.

Good luck

Bookie
Unread 06-22-2021, 01:39 PM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome back, Michael.

What Bookie said.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2021, 02:19 PM   #4
951Michael

Thanks ya'll, I need to raise the floor 3" though? Isn't that a big mud job for one person. I have done dry pack before though. It was 1" and that was tough...
Unread 06-22-2021, 02:29 PM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

You'll want help, Michael. Preferably experienced help. 400 feet at that depth is a good bit of mortar. You'd be looking at 3 1/2 or 4 yards, which is a lot to mix and certainly a lot to place.

But it will allow you to make the floor exactly the height you need and make it dead flat for tiling.

I'd be looking to do that job with the same tool I use for drywall and insulation; called a telephone.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 06-22-2021, 03:24 PM   #6
951Michael

The last time I did this; it was a while ago but I literally used a tiller and sand in the back of my truck with bags of cement. It was a tiller like the picture included and I mixed it over plywood.

If I was to do this solo or get a friend to help. Would I use galvanized wire mesh like that is included and while floating the floor lift the mesh so it is in the center. I won't be able to do this in one sitting so perhaps I can bond one pack and another with something?
Attached Images

Unread 06-22-2021, 05:20 PM   #7
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

We leveled up this old patio so they could make a sun room. It's about 3 inches on the left and an inch or so against the house. Bonded with Versabond.
Attached Images

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2021, 05:27 PM   #8
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I helped a friend on a 7000 sq ft patio. He had it planned to mud some places up 7 inches thick. I found a tiller for sale. His helpers thanked me for buying that tiller.
Attached Images

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2021, 08:13 PM   #9
cx
Moderator emeritus

You haven't actually told us, but I think we're guessing you're placing this mortar bed over a concrete SOG. Is that correct?

Unread 06-22-2021, 11:18 PM   #10
951Michael

It is to be installed over travertine tile which is installed over concrete.
Unread 06-22-2021, 11:21 PM   #11
951Michael

Quote:
We leveled up this old patio so they could make a sun room. It's about 3 inches on the left and an inch or so against the house. Bonded with Versabond.
Doesn't look like you even used galvanized wire mesh. I thought the mesh would be smart because I was installing this in sections. Figured it would hold it all together better.
Unread 06-23-2021, 12:26 AM   #12
cx
Moderator emeritus

If you're bonding to the concrete, or tile over concrete in your case, there is no need for the reinforcing mesh or the expanded metal lath.

You're technically limited to a maximum of two inches of mortar unless specified by someone with letters after his name, but in your case Davy will specify your three inches. That's Davy, BTDT.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase