Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-29-2010, 11:44 AM   #1
Gravelmaster

Exterior Finish

Hello all. I am looking for finishing recommendations. I have a vinyl covered house except for the last (bottom 6 inches). I have a cement slab (porch) intersecting the house. I have placed cement board on the final 6 inches and sealed it with caulk. I need to place some type of finish to the cement board so that I can seal off rain that goes between the slab and cement board. Thickness of the material would look good at about 3 three fourths of an inch thick. My area is susceptible to freezing (15 degrees F) during winter.
I would prefer a brick or stone like finish. What is practical or possible?

Thank you,
Gravelmaster
Unread 01-29-2010, 03:09 PM   #2
Brad Denny
Tile Contractor Nashville, TN

Hello and Welcome Alec,
How did you attach the CBU?
I'd think it best to remove the CBU and attach whatever you will be using for a finish directly to the slab. That being said, might wanna look into some cultured stone. Flat backs and easy to thinset to the concrete.

Brad Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2010, 12:21 PM   #3
Gravelmaster

More description of what I have

Thanks for the reply Brad. The CBU is screwed directly the wall studs on the outside of the house. The CBU is about 5 inches high. Above the CBU is vinyl siding. The joint where the CBU meets the porch is where I get water pouring under my house. My Idea was to build out tiles or stone about three fourths of a inch and seal the top and bottom of the material so that water flow away from the house. Maybe I need to get a picture.
Unread 02-03-2010, 02:40 PM   #4
Brad Denny
Tile Contractor Nashville, TN

Pics will definitely help, Alec, but I see what you are saying. Problem with what you are proposing is that tile, stone, and CBU is not waterproof, so not only is the joint where they meet the vinyl and the concrete suspect, but the space in between is too. I am going to show my ignorance of general house construction (that my friends here know much more about), but I am guessing from the studs out you have 5/8" OSB, house wrap of some kind, and vinyl, right?
I would think that you could board the bottom with a similar thickness OSB, thinset and mechanically fasten a 1/4" CBU, waterproof it with a surface applied membrane, and thinset stone or tile. I am not sure how to treat the top of the stone, though, as it will sit proud of the vinyl, but I believe I have seen a cap block type trim used in this manner with stone. The key would be to ensure that the waterproof membrane applied to the CBU is essentially "behind" the last row of vinyl so that water will shed away from that top joint.
How far out is the face of the slab from the studs??

Brad Denny is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase