Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 03-05-2005, 11:05 AM   #1
retail

Exterior fireplace with tile/stone finish

Does anyone know or know of any information pertaining to constructing an exterior fireplace/entertaining area. Looking for adding a niche division to our business. We are a tile and stone setting business; however, looking for profit centers and I have found that niche catergories bring better $$$'s. There may be concerns with this type of niche---looking for advice.
Unread 03-05-2005, 11:13 AM   #2
RandyL
Tile Setter

Send a message via Yahoo to RandyL
Ya..........scroll dorn the thread titles in the pro forum untill you see a thread titled "Cultured stone and stuff" Then ask Eric and the guys any questions you have. I'm thinking on getting into the same market too.

I FEAR NO BEER! (except Grolsh....yuck)
RandyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2005, 11:16 AM   #3
RandyL
Tile Setter

Send a message via Yahoo to RandyL
plus go here www.culturedstone.com

I FEAR NO BEER! (except Grolsh....yuck)
RandyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2005, 12:36 AM   #4
Eric Philson
Granite, Marble, tile, stone masonry

Steve,

I'm located in Michigan. I'm a long time stone setter too. Not so long with tile, but learning. I'm in the process as I speak of putting together a fireplace shop/ storefront. I've teamed up with 2 brothers who are heating contractors, so we can offer anything from custom masonry f.p.'s to Jo basic gas log units to anything in between. Hope to be opened up by early June. Already have accounts set up with tile wholesalers, stoneyards, etc. I'm not sure about outside f.p. and entertainment areas. I've done a few outside masonry f.p./grills over the years, but not many. I have seen some interesting gas and wood burning products for those applications lately though. That would be a pretty narrow niche here, but maybe not so much in your area. Actually, I'm looking for some good design ideas for tile surrounds for my showroom displays. If anyone has any they're willing to share, please chime in. We'll have about 20 units on display. About half will be freestanding stoves and half will be built in units. All my stone veneer will be natural stone, no artificial, although we will be offering it. I'm planning on 2 or 3 full thickness veneers and the rest will be natural thinstone veneers. This is a pretty big step for me. Exciting but nerve wracking.

I do a lot of split fieldstone, cobblestone and flagstone work here. Mostly f.p.'s and residential veneers. What stones are your hot sellers? How are you at staying busy in the winter? I have 6 months of work lined up now, but I have trouble getting customers to wait till winter for inside work. Tenting and heating just seems to result in a lot of spinning my wheels. Hopefully opening this showroom will help to equalize that a bit.

Eric
Eric Philson is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase