Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 07-22-2015, 12:52 AM   #1
Nholt

Do I need to seal glazed1" hex tile grout how long after sealing can I install toilet

I have a small half bath that I installed "American Olean Satinglo Ice White Thru Body Porcelain 1" hex glazed Mosaic tile" in. My next step is grout. I have a few questions.
I bought a bag of Polyblend sanded grout in a grayish color which I hope will be okay, I'll find out tomorrow when I test it on a test sheet of tile. However I've been contemplating going with un-sanded because I have a few spots where some of the hex tiles are really close together. (If anybody notices I'll just say it adds charm and character lol)

Based on what I have read I don't need to seal glazed tile only the grout. Is that correct?
Can I go ahead, once the grout is dry, and install the toilet and pedestal sink before sealing? Does it matter if the small area under the toilet is sealed?
And If I seal first how long after sealing do I need to wait before installing the toilet and pedestal sink?

Or can I just skip sealing altogether?
Unread 07-22-2015, 08:06 AM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Sanded can be used in joints smaller than1/8", it's just harder to force it in there. Sanded is stronger. You can seal after installing the fixtures.

On a bathroom floor, I think sealing is a good idea on cement based grouts.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2015, 12:13 PM   #3
Nholt

Thank you

Thank you for the reply!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase