Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-31-2014, 11:51 AM   #1
john619

waterproof membrane and other questions.

I am getting proposals from a few different installers here in San Diego for our bathroom tile job. This is all marble tile with base and chairail profiles,etc. I am not to concerned about the walls and floor as they seem very straight forward.

The tub enclosure is the place where I am focusing my concern. This will be done with 12x24x1/2" marble tiles full height. The first issue I believe I have resolved is that the jacuzzi tub did not have a tile flange and is more of a deck mount tub. The walls will come down and land on top of the tub deck. I plan on using the Schluter Dilex-AS. This is a pvc anchoring leg with a flexible joint. It looks to be just the ticket. there are inside corners available. Does anyone have experience with this joint? Any other recommendations for this condition?

I have one installer that I like his work but he does not have any experience with a fabric waterproof membrane. He uses a tile backerboard with the integrated waterproofing. I like the idea of another layer of waterproofing. He said he would do whatever I like, but I was concerned that he hasn't used the material before. Is there any one waterproofing membrane that is easier to use than another for a first timer?

Another question I have has to do with my floor tiles. The border tiles are 1/2" thick and the basketweave field tile are 3/8" does everyone just use an additional layer of thin set dried overnight to adjust the height or a separate material?

Thank you, John

Also any recommended installers in San Diego would be appreciated, cant have to many eyes on this to identify potential issues.
Unread 10-31-2014, 12:25 PM   #2
pfmez

Welcome, John

I'm sure the pros will be along soon to be of more help, but I'll put my 2 cents in. First, you should put your location in your profile, that will make it easier without having to read through the posts. Secondly, it will really help if you number your specific questions to avoid confusion.

I used the Dilex-AS in my tub surround, the corners and end pieces aren't the easiest to get right, but then again it was my first tile job. But I like how it looks, and really like that there is no caulk there to replace in the years to come.

Do you know specifically what backerboard your guy likes to use? Wedi, Kerdi board? Those boards (and I imagine there are others) are really no different than the surface applied membranes, as long as seams and fasteners are correctly addressed.
Unread 10-31-2014, 12:56 PM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, John.

The edge trim profiles, including your Schluter Dilex-AS, are decorative in nature and part of your tile installation layer. Neither the tiles nor the trim provide any part of your shower's water containment system.

I would recommend you not use that tub as a tub/shower unless you can get and install a tiling flange around the edge. Most manufacturers make such add-on pieces for their drop-in tubs.

You could try a direct bonded waterproofing membrane and connect it to the tub surface with a proprietary sealant, but that would give you only 1/4" or less of bonding surface as your only waterproofing in that, the most critical area of your installation.

USG's Shower System membrane or Schluter's Kerdi would each work in that application. Some of the liquid-applied membranes may indicate that they would adhere to the tub surface, but I'd recommend only a sheet membrane in that application.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase