Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 01-13-2012, 07:33 PM   #76
oakview
Retired Moderator - Owned by two rescued greyhounds

Levi,

A lot, probably nearly all, of those foreign "hits" are spambots or hired hands looking for loopholes in website security. Granted, some of them are likely search engine crawlers (China sends out a lot). You'll see more than some other sites since you're running on Wordpress, a favorite target of spammers and hackers. I wouldn't worry about it, but do keep your site updated.

If you could see what goes on behind the scenes at this forum, it'd be an eye opener. Fortunately, we've got a good team headed up by DaveM who's put good security measures in place to stop the nefarious parasites in their tracks.

Now, back to the discussion at hand, how to better rank your website in search engine results.

"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?." -John Wooden
oakview is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2012, 08:14 PM   #77
Arizona Floors
ReTile

Levi,

I get tons of emails from Asian countries (china) wanting me to buy imported stones, ceramics and porcelains. I assume they get my email from my website. Do you get those same types of emails? Might be related?
Arizona Floors is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2012, 08:36 PM   #78
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Your webmaster (could be you or somebody else) can access the site's control panel on whichever server the site is hosted on. There are analytic tools installed there that will identify the incoming traffic by url. As has been said, a fair percentage are spam bots, but many of the Asian ones are Chinese stone dealers trolling for business. If you ever start a forum on your site you'll understand what Dave/Shifty is talking about. We call our people who track down suspicious characters "hound doggies." In some cases they can track you down to your place of residence.

Also in the analyticals are your traffic figures, which will include robots who show up as people. DaveM sifts the non-humans out before rendering our figures, which we use in our campaign to entice new advertisers. We work on a category called "unique visitors." Uniques are folks who are brand new to the site or who have not been here for 30 days or more. At last count, JB.com hosts better than 9,000 unique visitors per day. You might guess that I'm pretty proud of that. It's people like you who help run the place who make it possible.

On to "content."

Search bots like content, and for the most part content is text. Google now has an image index and a battalion of very special bots who concentrate on finding and indexing images. The everyday bots, however, do not recognize or even see images. They can't see JD Tile's logo at the top of the page, for example. So loading lots of good pictures is good for people, but it doesn't do a lot for SEO.

There are ways of adding text to images, however, and you should always do that if possible. You can place textual "captions" under the pics, and you can add "alternate text," which appears only behind the page. It is seen by bots and by blind people who have special browsers that read to them. If there is not text attached to a picture they never know it's there, so put some there.

The bulk of SEO content is text, though, all of which appears in your source, the only part of your site that robots see. Short articles are a good way to add content. I do it a lot on JB.com. Adding content frequently is a must. Bots like to see new things each time they comb the site, and the frequency of new content helps to determine how often your site will be crawled. If robots arrive two or three times and see nothing new, they will come less often than they might if they find new material each time.

When you write something on your site, place some rich keywords and key phrases near the top and try to repeat them down lower in the text. The piece must make sense to humans, though, so don't just plug keywords in where not needed. As I mentioned earlier, bots are programmed to react as humans would. If they see something nonsensical they won't like it, and it may cost you points.

Now I know you'll all have questions on content, and Daniel answered some of them way back. Dave might have something to say on that, too.

I don't want to keep pushing my site out in front of you, but it contains some good examples. Check out a few of the articles and how-tos and see if you can pick out the keywords and key phrases. Notice that some of the words can be substituted for other words that mean the same thing -- floors and flooring, for example. Stone showers, marble showers. Pay attention to the first paragraph or two. Article titles and headings always contain good keywords.

http://www.johnbridge.com/articles

Last edited by John Bridge; 01-14-2012 at 10:19 AM.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2012, 10:37 AM   #79
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Okay, here is a piece that is particularly keyword rich as well as informative -- written by my partner, CX

http://www.johnbridge.com/articles/s...d-cbu-showers/

I'll paste the top of the article, heading, tag line and first paragraph here to get you started:

“Wicking,” – Water Migration in Cement Backer Board (CBU) Showers

Tile and Marble Shower Construction: A Conventional Method

Kelly Chaplin (November 2011)

Cement backer board is frequently used in the construction of “conventional” tile and marble shower walls. Subsequently, a cement mortar shower base is built over a waterproof membrane that connects to a special drain containing weep holes in its base. The membrane (shower pan liner), which extends up the walls to a point above the shower curb, is laid over a “pre-slope” of mortar that pitches it toward the drain. Water, then, is collected in the liner and conveyed to the drain weep holes.

This top portion (sure to be read by every visitor and every robot) contains well over fifty percent keywords and phrases, yet it is well written -- not sounding "tinny" or contrived. People searching for a multitude of tile products or product characteristics will be drawn to this piece.

The rest of the article contains key phrases, too, which will be read by the robots but not by all visitors. The robots will place less value on the lower parts of the page.

In addition to the link "trees" we have at the top of the page and on the left side, we have added links at the bottom of the article to related topics on our forum. People interested in wicking problems (lots of people) will end up spending some time on our site.

I just typed "shower wicking" into Google. The top three results are paid. This article came up first in the regular generic results.

Discussion?

Last edited by John Bridge; 01-14-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Unread 01-14-2012, 10:59 AM   #80
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

I did a Google search for "shower wicking' and it also came up first.
I have none showing as paid.

https://www.google.com/search?q=show...ient=firefox-a
..............^^--Check out our Blog--^^
Tampa Installer of Laticrete HydroBan/HydroBan Board
......Tampa Installer of Schluter Kerdi/Kerdi-Board
..................."Tampa Waterproofed Tile Showers"
..............Porcelain - Travertine - Ceramic - Glass Tile
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2012, 07:09 PM   #81
eurob
Not...Sure

It seems that one option was added to members names . I wonder how many contacts can we add ? Is this the kind of linking you were talking about John ?

There was something here but is no longer available
eurob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2012, 07:32 AM   #82
jondon
Hershey Pennsylvania Tile Contractor

Send a message via AIM to jondon
I am not 100% clear on the linking myself. On my website I have links to the JB Forum, couple tile distributors, to manufacturers....

This other site that comes up high in my area, they have links to a plumbing/bathroom supply place and a few others. I thought right away a link to where we get our glass... along those lines a links.

Thing is about these sites they are not gonna be linked to me directly kinda a one way street like me recommending them but they are not recommending me.

So I am not sure what is the gain to linking directly to other tile members on this forum. Do we put their links on the front page of our links or?

Not clear on this, is it just to get more connectivity between us all? I can see though how linking to someone else isn't doing you much good if they are not linked to you, just a one way street so to speak. This is not 100% clear to me.

My webguy is due back tomorrow so maybe he can better help me and we can get this site connected so to speak. If he doesn't have the time I will find someone who does but I am hoping he helps me.

Do I go to the place where I get glass shower doors for instance and say "I am gonna link to you on my website and recommend you but only if you do the same for me." Is that what needs to happen, I am assuming?

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile

CTEF Certified Installer #825

Custom Tile Installation in Hershey & surrounding areas

Serving Dauphin, Lebanon, Berks, Chester, & Montgomery Counties PA
jondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2012, 07:43 AM   #83
Executive Flooring

Hey Jon, Im not an expert web designer by any means. Im in the process of redesigning my site now since the one that is up is old and all of the keywords are horrible. Ive been reading a few books on SEO and they say that Incoming links are much more important than outgoing. So if some of us agreed to link to each other, you would then generate incoming links. Like I said, Im no website pro but I do generate a decent amount of leads from my site and its not even that great right now.
Sign up for Google places, start a facebook page, a youtube account, and the many other free advertising places.

Last edited by Executive Flooring; 01-15-2012 at 07:56 AM.
Executive Flooring is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2012, 08:47 AM   #84
jondon

Hi Ray, yes I have realized as of last week you don't have to be a web designer to know about SEO. Have learned a few things about the subject that are huge if not in your site(on the back page). Knowing nothing about SEO we only look and judge by the front. The "looks great but no one is getting to the site."

Quote:
posted by Ray:
Sign up for Google places, start a facebook page, a youtube account, and the many other free advertising places.
I have told people because of the business I am back on facebook now. What I really mean is the website I just had made and to get people there to it. So I am doing exactly what you say. Got Google account and others. I am learning a lot and doing as much as I can to get people to the site. That is the hardest thing to overcome, getting people there. If you can gettem there at least you got a shot if you got what they are looking for

I think there are many of us who want to keep our lives personal but unfortunately when you have a business it all runs together. You have to get known and for many of us that is the major hurdle when you are small business, getting your business name out. Referrals are great but they are only a part of the business. You want to reach new clientele.

I have a youtube account, I guess I need to make a video to put on there. another way to get traffic.

Funny thing is now when I am looking at a site like yours, I am looking at the back page as much as the front.

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile

Unread 01-15-2012, 10:17 AM   #85
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Yes, we are talking about the value of incoming links to your site. To get them you most often have to reciprocate by making a link from your site back to the site that linked to you. I suggested forming links with other tile site owners on this forum because most of you are not competing with one another. And even if you are it won't make much of a difference business wise. At the same time, I wouldn't seek link exchanges with people you don't know something about.

There are two basic types of links: internal links simply make your web site work; and external links go to other web sites. We're talking about external links here. You benefit from links coming from other sites that are somehow in the construction industry. You benefit most by links coming into your site from high ranking sites like this one, but all relevant incoming links are valuable.

Make a special links page for your site, and list your outgoing links there. If you have a site developer, have that person set things up.

The links pages on JB.com contain links to sites I've had for years. There aren't many of them because we have the forum which is constantly sending out links to other sites. You can use our links page as an example of how your links area might be set up on your site. If you click on any of the links you can search the site it goes to for a reciprocal link coming back to JB.com. I do that every once in a while, and if I can't find the link on some elses site I get hold of them. If I get no response I delete the link going to their site. Here's a "link" to that page:

http://www.johnbridge.com/links
And let me just clear one thing up. You are benefiting much more from exchanging links with JB.com than JB.com benefits from your reciprocal link. That just means that I have nothing to gain except the satisfaction of having helped some of my fellow tile setters.
Unread 01-15-2012, 05:27 PM   #86
Executive Flooring

So I decided to launch the new website even though its not completely finished. I know there are quite a few things to be done, some that have been covered in this thread already and some that havent been so I dont want to jump to far ahead and mention to much. Feedback is always good...hint hint.
Unread 01-15-2012, 06:41 PM   #87
Arizona Floors
ReTile

Ray,

One thing I personally don't care for is a visitor counter. I doubt it has any SEO relevance, but as a visitor I just don't like them.

I wouldn't change it unless the majority agrees. So far it's only my opinion.
Unread 01-15-2012, 06:52 PM   #88
Executive Flooring

Thanks Jesse, I agree on the counter. I was so focused on everything else that I completely overlooked that it was even on there. One thing I think we would both like to remove from our websites....The carpet section!
Unread 01-15-2012, 07:14 PM   #89
Arizona Floors
ReTile

That is not a bad idea (removing carpet). I'm working on my site right now, it may just disappear!
Unread 01-15-2012, 09:00 PM   #90
jondon

I checked out the page to your external links, as stated they are all relevant to construction. So of course we should all have a link to this forum which at least I got one thing right.

Quote:
Posted by JB:
You benefit from links coming from other sites that are somehow in the construction industry. You benefit most by links coming into your site from high ranking sites like this one, but all relevant incoming links are valuable.
I do see the need to have the external links, I only have a few. To make a comparision for instance you have links to Warmly Yours, Laticrete and Schluter I can see the benefit for them to be linked back to JB Forum. Those sites have nothing to gain linking back to JD Tile. I have 2 or those same three links listed for reference of products I use. I also have for instance links to distributors but again they are not linked to me, unless they have a list with contractors on which distributors I am involved with don't. They don't want to play favorites.

You are telling us to link to each other but better when they are ranked higher. So if we get to where we are higher ranking people start to notice that and want to be linked to you.

So for instance Brain and Roger are two sites you want to be connected to. Of course they don't have much to gain from my site cause it don't rank high, I am trying to change that though with what we are talking about from the start in this thread, SEO. So when I my sites gets there maybe they will link to me. Does all that sound right

Yes, everyone is concerned about making "their" site better adding this or that. JB, I think the linking to each other people are not grasping totally. They are in the same boat I was about the front pages. I really wish we could start a thread getting the ball rolling or started on making it easy or us to post who is willing to "link up." As you stated not doing much if both sites don't do it. I would really like to see who is onboard to do this. I will be working hard to get my guy to add the SEO now that he is back from vacation. I know what needs to be done to this site and he just needs to add these vital parts.

Seems to be from what I have read on this thread so far some people are not seeing the overall scheme of networking so to speak. It would be better to have a site people get to that is simple than to have one that has all the bells and whistles no one gets to see.

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase