Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 03-01-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
Jayme568

Ridgid 4007 wet saw.

Well, after four years of using the original WTS2000 Ridgid wet saw (without any issues) i decided to buy into a lighter saw for backsplash work and smaller gigs so I didn't need to lug that monster everywhere ( and yes, the original Ridgid saw is HEAVY). After reading a ton of negative comments i was nervous on buying the new machine, but when i bought my first Ridgid, there wasn't a lot of good things said about it, but its been an awesome saw for me and has cut a ton of tile. So i finally bought the 7 inch model. So far I really like the unit. Much easier to load and unload, much faster setup and water control is much much better than the original. Not sure yet if water control is as good as the Dewalt (probably not) because I haven't used it a lot yet, but i'm impressed with it thus far. Feels like it has more grunt than my Tm-75, table is definately light years ahead of the timmy, and it has the same capacity as my full size ridgid. So to those nervous about this saw, so far so good, I have not found any problems with it. Oh yeah, and it cuts dead square out of the box, just an added bonus.
Unread 03-04-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
Jayme568

did a 6x6 backsplash today with a wear rated 5 porcelain, some hard stuff, and the saw performed flawlessly. The thing has more than enough oomph. So far I can't say enough good things about this saw, and it transports easily. The water filtration system works very well. Had to cut every tile on the backsplash due to decoratives and such. Even with the stock blade produced very nice cuts. My Raimondi Razor blade however should arrive tomorrow.
Unread 03-05-2011, 01:35 AM   #3
Higher Standard Tile
Tile and Stone Contractor

Thanks for keeping us up to date. Always nice to know options on smaller saws that work well for professionals.

What is the tile size capacity on it?

Higher Standard Tile & Stone
Maui, Hawaii
CTEF Certified Tile Installer #673

Maui Professional Tile & Stone Installation
Higher Standard Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2011, 06:19 PM   #4
Jayme568

same as the dewalt, so you will have very few limitations.
Unread 03-12-2011, 03:03 AM   #5
2MinutesHate
Adventurer/Patriot Extraordinaire

The company I work for has 5 10" Rigid saws (WTS200L). Every one of them has some sort of issue from blade wobble to bad power switch to the table actually wearing out the rails so it doesn't slide easily/fluently. We do mostly large commercial work so these saws get a lot of use. I think they're pretty much junk and wouldn't recommend them to anyone. I'd just stick to the tried and true saws such as MK, Target, Felker, Husqvarna, etc.
Unread 03-12-2011, 08:45 AM   #6
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

I have seen so many Rigid wet saws used sitting back on the tile isle at Home Depot for sale and even ones there marked down.
..............^^--Check out our Blog--^^
Tampa Installer of Laticrete HydroBan/HydroBan Board
......Tampa Installer of Schluter Kerdi/Kerdi-Board
..................."Tampa Waterproofed Tile Showers"
..............Porcelain - Travertine - Ceramic - Glass Tile
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 11:29 AM   #7
Muddman
Potter, Contractor, Philosopher

I too have a first generation Ridgid and Love it. My only complaints are the cart, because of the small wheels and the fact that it can't stand upright when folded up. And sometimes I have an issue with clearance of the saw arm.
Other than that it cuts like a dream. I have ripped 18" tiles in half with perfect accuracy. And I haven't had to adjust the sled once.

When I saw the new ridgids in the store I have to say I was not impressed. The rail design on the sled was definitely downgraded. The first gen's have ball bearing rollers that hug the rail which amounts to absolute zero play in the sled, which is what sold me on the saw in the first place. It even has a smoother and tighter rail system than the Dewalts.
But the second gen's just have rollers that sit on top with other guide thing's to help keep it in place. The sled has quite a bit of play, and I don't see how you could ever make it as tight as the first gens.
Other than that I do like some of the changes they made. The improved cart, cantilevered arm, lighter.

So Jay. What is your opinion specifically on the rail vs the first gen's since you have actually used the saw?

www.muddmandesign.com
Muddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 11:33 AM   #8
Muddman
Potter, Contractor, Philosopher

In my opinion, when they came out with the first gens they were trying to compete with the dewalts and other pro saws. But after poor sales (because most pro's don't buy tile saws from HD)they decided to make a cheaper saw to appeal to the do-it-yourself market.

In fact very few HD's actually cary the ridgid tile saws around here anymore.

www.muddmandesign.com
Muddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 02:29 PM   #9
lati_cz
michal

I bought one on sale at HD - the price was very good, my decision not, never again.
Unread 03-13-2011, 04:19 PM   #10
Jayme568

The rail system is sufficient, leaps and bounds ahead of my tm 75 (which is the saw i replaced with this one) but its not as good as the wts2000. I'm still impressed with this 7 inch saw thus far, and although i'm a tile installer i do not do much commerical work, so i'm not running 5000 sq ft worth the cuts through a saw a week, and in that instance i would definately say use a saw much more geared toward that, such as a husqvarna or mk. But for the projects i purchased this saw for, custom showers, backsplashes, where plunge cuts and mitering capabilities are handy, this saw works very well. You will never hear me say that this will outlast a husqy or an MK because i know it won't, but as a backup saw or backsplash saw its a nice unit thus far.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase