Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-26-2003, 03:32 PM   #1
bmkiss67

Send a message via AIM to bmkiss67 Send a message via Yahoo to bmkiss67
A quick hello and a quick question of tile and stairs.

I'm new here and would like to say Hi to everyone. I really like this forum and hope to learn as much as I can. I'm not the most handest person around, but I'm willing to try. I live in a townhouse and have decided that we need to replace the carpet/vinyl with tile and wood, so I'm sure will be asking a lot of questions. My first question is about tile and stairs. When you walk into my house I have a foyer/landing type area that's about 6x4. From there you must either walk up or down a set of stairs to get to either the main lvl or the basement. I have the supplies to tile that area but I'm not sure what to do about the area where the tile meets the stairs. Curently the stairs are carpet, but we are looking to convert them to wood next year. With that in mind my question is do I tile the floor and treat the riser like a wall or does the tile go under the riser? I haven't pulled up the carpet yet, but I'm guessing that I treat the riser as a wall. So I was so long here, I promise to try to keep it shorter from now on.

P.S. I saw some of the pics from ppls remodels baths and now I would love to pull my crappie tub and do a nice tile shower. I hope it's not to hard and I'm sure most of my question will be about doing that.

Thanks all
Bernie
bmkiss67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-26-2003, 04:14 PM   #2
scott anthony
Tile Man -- Central Florida

You can do either as long as you do clean job at it. I would use the riser as a wall.

If you not a handy person in the slight I would step back think hard about attemping a shower. It might be more fustrating than it's worth, unless you absolutely need it. You can alway shower with the hose. Winter is still 5 months out
scott anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2003, 07:23 PM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Welcome aboard, Bernie.

One of the things this little project is going to hinge on is what's under the carpet. I'm guessing you'll have to improve the subfloor somewhat for ceramic tile. Can you tell how the entryway is built? What size floor joists, for instance?
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2003, 10:02 PM   #4
davem
Systems Engineer and Moderator, JB Forums

Send a message via AIM to davem Send a message via Yahoo to davem
Hi Bernie, welcome to the forum.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2003, 12:31 PM   #5
bmkiss67

The only place I can see the joist is in the laundry room, located in the basement which is the lvl under the entry way, but in the middle of the house. They are made of 2x4s and are 24" centers on the spacing. Anything else I should try and find out? So where do I stand with this so far?

Thanks
Bernie
Unread 07-27-2003, 01:23 PM   #6
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Bernie.

You gotta do better with the ol' info, here. Sorry, but that's just the way life is sometimes, eh?

We really need to know the structure of your floor system to pass judgement on its suitability for tile. You're gonna hafta find out what the size of the joists are (they're not likely 2x4s), the spacing between them, and the longest span between the supports of those joists. The span can be deduced from below by a reasoned survey of the walls and lack of walls under the area above. The size and spacing hafta be determined by actual measuremet, either at an area where they are accessable from either top or bottom, or by cutting an access hole in the top or bottom. If the carpet is to be replaced, pulling it up and poking a small hole for measurement would be easy. That will also tell you the thickness and type of sub-floor you have there.

Another consideration you have is the stairs going both directions. The rises of each step in each set of stairs must remain constant from bottom to top. You need to find out if that situation exists with the current finished floor (carpet) and keep it that way with the new finished floor.

With the above information, Chief Injineer Bob can 'splain you what needs done to make tile a reality.
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2003, 06:51 PM   #7
bmkiss67

Ok between work and my wife I got home pretty late, so I'm going to have to wait till tomorrow to come up with the specs of my floor. What I'm going to do is upload a pic. I hope this will help some. Is there anything in particular I should try and capture?

Bernie
Unread 07-28-2003, 09:07 PM   #8
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Bernie, measure the size of the joists, the spacing between them and the span between the supports of the joists. What is on top of the joists, 1x6's, plywood?
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2003, 11:13 PM   #9
Sonnie Layne
Da Poet

yeah, Bernie... in most cases a pic is worth a thous words, but right now we need to do some measurin' 'cuz we don't want your project to fail 2 years down the road. We truly aren't anal to the Nth on this site, but we've a reputation to sustain. That means we all have an interest in your job. That means we all want to agree to what degree and which that you should persue the project to attain satisfactory results.

Oh, by the way.... your post was not in any way a long one. I may hold the record for that If you don't believe me, axe the next guy.....
Unread 07-29-2003, 05:47 AM   #10
bbcamp

Sonnie Layne, Master of Brevity!
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2003, 06:55 AM   #11
diemeto

if they were 2x4s 24 oc you would be livin in a one level home - the basement
diemeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2003, 07:11 PM   #12
bmkiss67

Ok. I have a pic and a measurement. The joist measures 14" tall. On top of them is plywood, but I have no open area to tell how thick. They are 4' wide, but I can't tell how long. Very limited are to work in. The wood used in this joist measures 1.5"X3.5".

Do I need to try and find something else out?

Thanks
Unread 07-29-2003, 07:20 PM   #13
fishinfarmgirl
da Cheerleader!

Glad you found the site Bernie...it's the best on the web!

Good luck with your project. You can trust these guys! Honest! ! They do good work!

L

"Great spirits have always encountered opposition from mediocre minds!" Albert Einstein
fishinfarmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2003, 11:06 PM   #14
cx
Moderator emeritus

Aw, hell, Bernie, good thing you got us a picher!

Yeah, them's 2x4s, sure nuff, but what you have for floor joists are called web trusses. You can't get any information about them from our calculator, though. Only the manufacturer is gonna be able to tell you what they were designed to provide.

You need to see if you can get the manufacturer's name and any number you can find stamped on one of them. And you gotta find a way to tell us how far they are spanning without support. You will be able to see where the trusses sit on something and where they don't. Maybe you hafta stick your head and a flashlight up in there and have a better look. With fourteen inches of space you should have little trouble running a tape both ways from where you took that photo.

Look carefully at the plywood wherever you can see the bottom and read any grade stamps you find there, too. That will only tell you about the bottom sheet if there is more than one layer, though. Best way to find out about that is to drill a hole through the floor. Pull up a corner of that carpet and poke a hole down through there, being careful not to drill further than necessary. A hole saw would be the tool of choice.

And how about the rises of those stairs? You measure them yet?
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2003, 09:09 AM   #15
bbcamp

I thought this was a 4x6 landing for a split foyer-style townhouse.

Anyway, those trusses are good for about 19 feet.

For your situation, you will need to use Ditra for an underlayment. For Ditra to work, you will need to use a double wood floor, consisting of 3/4" (19 mm) tongue-and-groove, exterior-grade plywood or OSB panel, with an overlay of 3/8" minimum, exterior-grade plywood or OSB. 1/8" spacing is recommended between all panels. (from the Schluter website)

You gotta be careful that you don't build up too much on the landing, because it will screw up the risers on the steps. You want these to be consistant, to within 1/4".

Bob
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase