Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-07-2005, 11:36 AM   #1
texski

In NEED OF HELP

OK, First off I was hoping for an answer as soon as yall read this. I Love this site and I do get alot of info from it. Another reason is that, I don't have a computer at home and I check my email from my phone from my customers house but I can't view this forum from it.

I tore up 512sq ft of ceramic tile this weekend....left on the slab is grooves amounts of thinset and what looks like a 1/2" and smaller mud bed....Now take into consideration this...in the middle of the living room there was carpet...so along the edges where the tile met the carpet its a little higher....and of course where I jack hammered the ceramic out, its rough....So my question is this....Instead of using all SLC, can I start off by just using the bag TOP SAND MIX that I get at HD...feather out the edges some....let it set overnight...then comeback with SLC to feather it out level (FLAT)....You might even tell me that I can use FLEXBOND on the floor first instead of TOP SAND MIX.....I guess I am a little confused....Any HELP will be appreciated

OH, I am going to be putting down laminate flooring in the living and dining room and tile in the kitchen
832-567-8472
texski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-07-2005, 02:50 PM   #2
bbcamp

The SLC and bonded mud bed will be only as good as the floor they are bonded to, but both methods could be used to level this floor. Another down side is that with all the pookie on the floor now, you can't evaluate it for cracks.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2005, 06:01 AM   #3
texski

Exclamation Thanks BBCAMP

This is True......I can see enough of the slab to make an assessment as to small or large cracks and I can grind down the areas that need patching....My concern is do I use only top sand mix right out of the bag? Or thinset, then SLC....Thanks for the reply so quick
832-567-8472
texski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2005, 08:00 AM   #4
bbcamp

If you use SLC, you prime the floor first, using the SLC manufacturer's recommended product. If you use sand mix, you use thinned thinset as a bonding agent.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase