Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 03-24-2005, 03:51 PM   #1
Hartley

Exclamation Need help! Grease on unsealed grout

Hello, I've read lots of posts, but am still unsure of what to do. We finished grouting our bathroom walls four days ago. We used polyblend nonsanded snow white grout with daltile subway tiles. Have not yet sealed the grout. Last night after not bathing at home for a month and a half, we installed the tub spout and valve. Not sure how it happened, but the grout under the spout is now stained a light grey. I think it's grease... husband is a mechanic. What should I do to get the grout back to white before sealing?

Also, the tile place we went to sold us a sealer called "Miraseal". The label says that it doesn't guard against oil. Given our experience so far, shouldn't we use something that does? I looked at sealers at Home Depot and noticed that they require you use special cleaners if you use their product. Is there something that guards against oil-based stains, but doesn't require special handling after?

Thanks so much for any help.

Ok, how 'bout this: what if I lightly sand the stained grout? I'm thinking about just sanding it a little, and then sealing it. This project has been one step forward, two steps back the whole way through. Doing a humongo remodel on your only bathroom is _not_ recommended (unless you can afford to have someone else do it and live somewhere else. But why then would you have only one bathroom?....)

Last edited by Hartley; 03-24-2005 at 06:26 PM. Reason: another question: can i sand the stained grout?
Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-24-2005, 08:35 PM   #2
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Hartley, Welcome!

With all that grease & oil around, a high alkaline cleaner would be in order. It would probably be easiest to scratch out the stained grout (or you could try some 409 1st).

You definitely need a impregnator that will protect against oil staining. Most water based products will achieve this. Might I suggest you take a look at Stone Techs Heavy Duty Stone Sealer. Having it delivered to your front door is only a few key strokes away.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2005, 10:58 AM   #3
Hartley

Thank you!

Thanks so much! I'll check out the Stonetech.
Unread 03-25-2005, 03:15 PM   #4
mrjetskey

The reason most sealers want you to use their brand of cleaner is they mix it so it doesnt damage the sealer prematurely as there are quite a few different chemical compositions that different brand sealers use,so the surfacants to get it clean must not contain chemicals that damage sealer.Hope this helps.
mrjetskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2005, 05:34 PM   #5
Hartley

cleaners

That makes sense.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase