Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-30-2019, 02:39 PM   #1
vickyprodify

Wedi ligno curbless system

Hi,
Newbie to the forum here

Im installing a curbless shower entry for our bathroom. As per the instructions i have the recessed subfloor done. However there is a 1/2" difference to the bathroom (outside the shower) floor.

I have a few questions.

1) Should I raise the level to flush by putting 1/2 ply over recessed subfloor? or
2) Is a 1/2" recess for shower area ok?
2a) if the recess is ok? how do i waterproof the lip?

If I do raise it, how do i put the 1/2 ply over?
1) Glue it?
2) Mortar?
3) Screw ply to thw sub floor every 12"?

Now for a wedi ligno pan question. I nees to bring it down to 32" from 36".
q
1) Can i cut the Wedi board 1" on one side and 3" on the other?
Unread 07-01-2019, 06:35 AM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Vignesh,

Use 1/2 in. plywood to raise the floor drive screws 8 in. apart in both directions into the layer below. Try to avoid the joists.

I have never installed a Wedi floor and will let someone else answer that question.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2019, 06:36 AM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Vignesh,

Add 1/2 in. plywood. Drive screws 8 in. apart in both directions. Try to avoid the joists and screw only into the layer below.

I have never installed a Wedi floor.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2019, 11:20 PM   #4
KiwiTiler

Re cutting wedi down, don't exceed 6 inches on either side as more weakens the board structure.

You'll be fine.

Mark

Last edited by cx; 07-02-2019 at 09:00 AM.
KiwiTiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2019, 07:10 PM   #5
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

I think what you are saying is that the subfloor is only recessed 1/2 inch? I don't understand why that would be. Is your subfloor 5/8 inch thick plywood or 3/4 inch thick OSB?

Curious how the new Delta Cruzer tile saw stacks up against Dewalt? Check out the full review and video on DIYTileGuy
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2020, 03:16 PM   #6
vickyprodify

Wedi board to drywall transition

Hi,
Im remodelling my master bathroom. Went with wedi fundo ligno shower base and wedi boards for the wall.

On the wall opposite the shower, wedi board is not transitioning flush to the drywall. There is 1/2 inch difference and wedi board is inside the drywall. What do i do in this case? Should this absolutely be flush, or can I live with the difference? I can reduce the difference a little bit with shims, may be reduce it by a quarter inch but not much further.

Any suggestions???

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Unread 01-04-2020, 03:24 PM   #7
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Vignesh.

First, why is there that much difference? Was the wallboard previously shimmed out to accommodate the window or some other trim?

A photo from farther back where we could get some perspective might help a good bit, but I think it probable you would need to shim the entire shower wall to bring the Wedi board out flush with the drywall and keep the Wedi board flat for a tile installation.

Do you intend to tile all the way to the edge of that Wedi? Farther?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vignesh
...or can I live with the difference?
You need to look in the mirror when you ask that question or ask the question of Mrs. Vignesh - unless I've got that backwards. There are many ways to treat such areas, but a lot would depend upon the questions posed above and the request for additional photos.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2020, 07:55 AM   #8
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

I'm not sure why your wall is shimmied out so far. I would start by screwing the edge of the drywall with drywall screws. Hopefully, you can get 1/16-1/8 inch from that.

Then you'll have to shim out the Wedi board to get the rest of it. I'm assuming that you are using their 1/2 inch building panels.

Curious how the new Delta Cruzer tile saw stacks up against Dewalt? Check out the full review and video on DIYTileGuy
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2020, 08:45 AM   #9
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Yes, welcome Vignesh.

That's quite a gap between the drywall and the wall studs, and given how narrow that strip of drywall is between the window trim and the Wedi, I don't believe you can run any screws into the drywall there in hopes of pulling it tighter to the studs - it's just going to crack. There is something wonky with how that window was installed.

As it stands I don't see how you'll be able to get the drywall and the Wedi in the same plane. If it were me I'd have to pull off the window trim and the surrounding drywall to figure out what is going on.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2020, 09:46 PM   #10
kickstart

I'd put a level up to both the drywall and the Wedi board.

Which one is plumb?

If the drywall is plumb, then shim out the Wedi board to match it.
Unread 04-04-2020, 10:11 AM   #11
vickyprodify

Subfloor Question

My name is Vignesh. I am remodelling our master bath. This is a 1960 house. I ripped out the existing tile and the cement board. Cement board was only screwed into (no thinset under cementboard) the tongue and groove 3/4" plank subfloor running diagonally across joist.

I ve been in this house for 5 yrs now and never had issues with the tiled floor anywhere in the house. My question is.

1) Can i follow the same installation style i.e. put down 1/2" hardibacker over this subfloor with screws?
2) Can I use long format tiles (36" , 1/4" thick) in this method. Prev tiles were reg 12" tiles.

Attached pics of the subfloor. Subfloor 7.5 inch long , 3/4 thick, tongue n groove. Looks like hardwood not OSB . i cant make the type of wood though.

Thanks for your valuable thoughts and Inputs.
Attached Images

Unread 04-04-2020, 10:28 AM   #12
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome back, Vignesh.

I recommend you purchase a lottery ticket at your first opportunity. While we cannot guarantee failure any more than we can guarantee success in a ceramic tile installation, the betting would have been very heavy against what you had.

The manufacturer of the CBU would have been very unhappy with the installation. No such manufacturer recommends his product to be used over sawn board subflooring and not such manufacturer recommends his product be installed without being bedded in a tile adhesive of some kind, primarily thinset mortar. That your floor survived the installation you had was a matter of luck.

The very minimum you can install over what you have is nominal 1/2" exterior glue plywood with no face of grade lower than C. Then the tile installation substrate of your choice and your tile. The size of your tiles will make no difference unless they are too small for the substrate manufacturer. If you use a CBU, you need only the manufacturer's recommended thinner panels.

That installation method presumes your boards to be installed perpendicular to the joists, which you do not have, but the minimum 1/2" plywood may still work OK.

Unread 04-04-2020, 02:46 PM   #13
PC7060
...unrepentant, detail focused, over-analyzer.

My go to size for asecond layer of subfloor is 5/8 (19/32) plywood. Refer to this liberry Article for guidance on screwing plywood to subfloor.

https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin...35#post1512935

Also, not to throw more rain at your picnic but that floor will need to very flat for 36” long tiles.

Recommend you put a good straightedge down (or level) to see what crowns and valleys you may be facing.

Last edited by PC7060; 04-04-2020 at 02:51 PM.
PC7060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2020, 08:04 AM   #14
vickyprodify

Wil 1/2 Ply over this plank subfloor and then adding DITRA membrane on top help?
Unread 04-05-2020, 08:14 AM   #15
cx
Moderator emeritus

The minimum 1/2" plywood is mandatory. The Ditra is optional, but you must use something over the plywood. Membrane of some sort or CBU.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase