Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-03-2020, 11:33 AM   #1
tireguy

I think i bought the wrong sealer

This weekend I'm installing 3x6 travertine stone backsplash. The color of the stone is really close to the granite. We picked a dark slate grout that I actually want to fill the porous stone to darken it up and give me some contrast. The man sold me 511 impregnator sealer and told me to seal up the stone before grouting. But since we do want the grout to fill the holes in the stone, should I do that? I would thing I would grout then seal. But if I'm going that route what type of sealer should I use?

Total newbie so any help will be appreciated.
Attached Images

Unread 04-03-2020, 12:51 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Charles.

The only way you're going to be able to determine that is to make up a sample board or two and try your tiles with your grout and your sealer.

Your stone doesn't need to be sealed at all, but for a kitchen backsplash you might want to do that. Your grout, depending upon the type you choose, may or may not benefit from any sealing.

Very dark colored cementitious grouts can be very tricky and rarely turn out as dark as the samples in my experience. They also tend to stain the tiles somewhat, 'specially pourous stone tiles. All of this may or may not give you the look you're trying to achieve. Testing will tell the tale.

If you want a really dark grout, I'd strongly recommend one of the newer single-component grouts or an epoxy. They tend to finish out at the color advertised, but they also stain the stone differently than do the cementitious grouts.

Testing, including cure times for the grout and sealer, is the only sure way to determine what you'll get.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase