Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-02-2020, 09:43 AM   #1
dianna

Tile leveling systems -anything new and improved?

Hi guys, the latest post I saw about leveling systems was from over a year ago. Is there anything new and improved for the DIY-er? From what I saw in previous posts, Raimondi Leveling System was the most recommended. I've been having decent results using a hockey puck, but it takes me forever and am often pulling tiles out and redoing them. I'd rather spend the money on a leveling system!
Unread 04-02-2020, 09:52 AM   #2
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Just a DIY'er, Dianna, and the only one I've used is Spin Doctor. Very easy to use, I had great results with it, but it's a bit spendy to start up. But once the caps and anti-friction clear disks are bought they get used again and again, so you're only buying the spacers after that. No special tools required.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2020, 10:05 AM   #3
pls

I also like the spin doctor. My Lowes no longer carries them so I have to order online.
Unread 04-02-2020, 10:05 AM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome back, Dianna.

You are aware that none of the "leveling" systems do any leveling at all, yes? They are more accurately described as lippage control systems. You might still find yourself needing to do much the same "adjustment" as you do without the mechanical system, but the mechanical systems do hold the tile edges in place more securely than without them.

If you are a person who can set lippage-free tile installations without the lippage control devices, they're certainly helpful, but are likely to slow your speed a bit, at least at first.

One of the most versatile systems, and the only one with which I have any experience, is the MLT System. Not gonna be the least expensive up front, but may be what you want for the longer term if you expect to be setting a lot of tile. One of the tool-les systems might be better if you're not planning a lot of need.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!

Last edited by cx; 04-02-2020 at 10:14 AM.
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2020, 02:02 PM   #5
dianna

Thank you for the responses! I am aware that these prevent lippage. I am really good at getting my floor tiles lippage-free, but wall tiles seem to be more of a challenge for me. The hockey puck works pretty well, but when I see videos of people tiling with the systems, it looks so easy! But then again, everything a pro does looks easy compared to my skills! I am actually finishing a project I started a long time ago, embarrassingly. I plan to post up some pics when I finish up the shower in the bathroom. My next pandemic project is another bathroom. I appreciate all of the help!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase