Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-01-2020, 12:06 PM   #16
Kman

Andrew, let's keep all questions related to this project on this one thread, so that questions and answers aren't duplicated, and the history is in one place.

It's not unusual for water to creep up dried mortar a little. If the surface is wiped (mostly) clean of mortar beforehand, you won't see as much of it.

The key is whether or not you're losing any water. Since you have a little extra mortar that's drawing some water, you probably don't have to worry about the first bit of water loss. After a few hours, maybe a half day, it should stabilize. Then the only other issue is evaporation.

If you set a pan of water in the room, you can monitor the evaporation from it and see how much water you would lose. If the shower and the pan are losing the same amount, then you wouldn't have a leak. If the shower loses more than the pan, it's a possible leak.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2020, 02:36 PM   #17
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Andrew....A little water migration, under your testing is negligible. Bear in mind that this water test was under some pressure that doesn't happen under normal shower draining circumstances. Standard "water flow" whilst taking a shower won't happen with no pressure. Make sense?

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2020, 06:32 PM   #18
maxwell_smart007

Over a full 24 or so hours, the pan lost about a sixteenth of an inch total - all of which seemed to happen overnight and then stabilize - and my dehumidifier upstairs says our humidity is about 30 percent, so it's likely evaporation and or the initial mortar wicking.

So the migration upwards of the water via the mortar on top of the kerdi is a non-issue?

I pulled the plug to ensure it looks good - and it does.

After draining, the kerdi is still fully adhered and there's no obvious issues. One area that's a bit weird is the kerdi outside corner that overlaps the curb - it seems a bit wet as if the water might have wicked up into it...otherwise, it looks very good other than the mortar wicking.

Should I kerdi fix the perimeter and/or overlap another layer of kerdiband without surface mortar and try again with a 'control bucket' to gauge evaporation, or am I overthinking things?

Edit: And sincere thanks for the advice!
Unread 04-01-2020, 10:43 PM   #19
Kman

If moisture is migrating into the seams more than 1/4" or so, then that needs to be fixed. Otherwise, I'd leave it alone.

Have you got a picture of the corner that you think might be a problem?

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2020, 04:09 PM   #20
maxwell_smart007

Thanks Kevin - this is the one. It's an outside corner on the inside of the curb...but it's also where I lean when I'm looking at things in the shower, so it's possible that I just leaned on it with a wet hand and didn't realize...or splashed it on there when I was dumping the buckets...

I should have left it instead of draining to see if it dried out or got worse...20/20
Attached Images

Unread 04-04-2020, 05:36 PM   #21
smifwal

Flood it again if it will put your mind at ease. I have done multiple flood tests on showers before for the same reason. Once I splashed water outside of the shower right in the corner by the curb and didn't notice it, came in the next morning and saw it sitting there. I thought well hell, checked the water level and it was good. I cleaned everything up and reflooded it and the next day all was well. I am confident in my methods of installation but things happen and I needed to be 100% sure there wasn't a leak. Whole lot easier to fix it then if there is a problem then down the road.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase