Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-14-2019, 11:30 PM   #31
clegg

I contacted a glass shop for a hinged shower door with a fixed panel.

I have the existing shower torn out including the acrylic base. I am deciding on which substrate that the durock membrane will be installed to. Is drywall acceptable?

I was able to remove the cultured marble slabs without tearing up the existing drywall and could possibly retain that.

There is also conflicting info about the type of thinset to apply the durock membrane. The video says unmodified thinset and the 8 page USG manual says modified thinset or the durock adhesive?
Unread 12-15-2019, 12:48 AM   #32
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Read the installation instructions. To my knowledge, only two companies have tested and certified their sheet membrane installations over gypsum board (drywall): Schluter (Kerdi) and Laticrete (Hydroban sheet). None of the others have done the paperwork or admitted to testing it in that manner, so, in theory, should not pass a plumbing inspection. They may work over that substrate, but it's not been verified.

All of the premade pans designed for use with membranes are high density foam, denser than your typical ice chest or coffee cup by a considerable amount. I've mentioned it before, but that same foam is used under roadways for the ramp approaches to overpasses as, once installed properly, it is stable and won't wash away plus, with the distributed load, is stable in compression. You don't see it, but it's there in more places than you'd think.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2019, 04:41 PM   #33
clegg

I am at the point for installation of the Durock CBU. Is the rough (printed) or smooth side toward the interior where the tile will go. I am using Durock membrane.

The USG site states either way. I just want to know what the pros do.

Thanks..
Unread 12-21-2019, 05:09 PM   #34
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yep, either side works but most installers tile the rough side.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2019, 05:56 PM   #35
smifwal

smooth side out when using membrane ( CX taught me that ) makes it easier to smooth out the bubbles
For the membrane use modified thinset and precut everything before you mix up mortar
Unread 12-23-2019, 03:42 PM   #36
clegg

Modified or Unmodified thinset

I have the Durock CBU on the shower walls now over the studs. I am going to be installing the Durock membrane over this. The instructions call for unmodified thinset which is ANSI 118.1. Is this the correct thinset for the application?

After the membrane is installed, I am using a large format tile (12X24), I have Mapei LFT white thinset. Will this be correct for the tile over the membrane?
Unread 12-23-2019, 04:49 PM   #37
rmckee84

I don't use the durock membrane, but if you want the warranty stick to what they suggest. Personally I would opt for a modified especially over something as thirsty as CBU. But again, that is up to you. Either will work but following their directions will keep your warranty intact. Make sure and hydrate your CBU prior the spreading the thinset, this will give you a little more working time.

For wall you want a non-sag mortar for best performance on your wall install. Mapei is another manufacturer I dont use much so I'm not up to date on their products.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2019, 05:47 PM   #38
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by USG Durock Shower Membrane FAQ

What type of mortar do I use to install the USG Durockā„¢ Shower System?

Use tile-setting mortar meeting one of the following standards: ANSI A118.1, A118.4, A118.11, or A118.15.
Always a good idea to read and follow the product manufacturer's instructions, Ed. In the case of the membrane, you can use modified or unmodified mortars. The Durock backer board still requires a modified mortar, far as I know.

Makes an easier choice, yes?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2019, 07:07 AM   #39
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
You can use a 118.4 for everything, Ed, but ya don't wanna use a 118.4 LFT for sticking the membrane to the backer, the LFT stuff is too thick for that app.

As was mentioned you'll want to keep the backer hydrated, just slightly dampen it with a sponge before combing on the mortar. dampening it will prevent the backer from drawing too much moisture out of the mortar and creating a weak bond.

If you're zippy with dampening and troweling you could probably cover an entire wall in one shot. If, on the other hand, you're Captain Slow like me dampen and trowel and cover smaller sections at a time - ya don't want the mortar to skin over.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2019, 10:26 AM   #40
clegg

118.4 it is for this application!

I emailed USG to have in writing which thinset mortar that they recommend for use with their Durock and membrane. They stated 118.1, 118.4, 118.11 or .15 also.

I got the white Versabond that meets 118.4.

Now I have turned my attention to the shower floor tile. It's going to be an American Olean smooth top pebble. Mosaic?

After setting and sealing the pebble tile, they instruct to use an unsanded grout. Will this be fine on a shower floor?
Unread 12-27-2019, 10:54 AM   #41
rmckee84

I wouldn't, pebbles tend to have gaps too large for unsanded grout.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2019, 02:48 PM   #42
clegg

That was kind of my thought as well. Would a sanded grout or an epoxy grout be better?
Unread 12-27-2019, 04:33 PM   #43
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Now we are wading into terminology....

Any cementitious sanded grout will be fine.

Any epoxy (Part A+B+C) sanded grout will be fine

Any acrylic based, or urethane based ( often erroneously called epoxy) sanded grout such as Flexcolor CQ will be fine.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2019, 06:12 PM   #44
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Don't be bashful about dampening the walls prior to applying the thinset for the membrane. It's not too wet unless there's liquid water on the surface (and if there is, waiting a couple of minutes is usually enough time for that to be absorbed). The idea is to ensure the mortar stays the designed consistency. Many cbu boards will suck a lot of moisture in, so adding it prior to the thinset means the thinset will remain the desired consistency, as long as you don't take too long to cover it up with the membrane. DO NOT try to use or cover large sections when you start, otherwise, you run the risk of the thinset skinning over, making embedding the membrane really hard, if not impossible. As you progress, your technique might improve enough to try larger membrane pieces.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2020, 03:26 PM   #45
clegg

After a lot of help from this forum and work on my part my shower project is finished. It came out really nice in my opinion. I ended up using a herringbone mosaic on the shower floor and niche.

The Durock foam base drains to the center drain very well and feels solid. I was surprised that it still sloped well because I used the 48x48 and cut it down to 34x46.

The full tiled shower and glass door has really transformed my bathroom.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase