Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-07-2019, 08:01 PM   #1
Roboman9

Options to fix small cracks and voids in grout

Our one year old bathroom remodel has voids of gout and small hairline cracks in the shower floor tile joints. The tile is not moving. There is some lippage and slight waviness and it does drain but it takes a couple of minutes because there is only slight slope

This was installed by a general contractor. He did a god job on the subfloor: new ¾” Advantech glued and screwed to solid wood 2x12 floor joists, a layer of Durock, sloped mud, waterproof membrane, sloped mud, then thinset and tiles.

From what a few tile contractors said this is most likely due to using too thin a layer of thinset under the tile.

We were given three options from three tiling contractors:

1. Rip up all the entire floor and the first layer of wall tile and re-do everything.
$4,000 to 6,000. This isn’t worth it for what is mostly a cosmetic problem.
2. Remove the tile, repair the mudset, install water proofing layer, install tile on thinset.
Tile floor will be cut at the edge where it goes under the wall tile. That edge will be re-caulked.
$1,200 + tile
3. Remove grout and re-grout floor
$1,100

I’m leaning towards option 2 because it fixes the poor slope and general sloppy tile placement but I’m not sure if that is going to cause problems later.

Thoughts?
Unread 01-07-2019, 08:26 PM   #2
tatumjonj

Your only options are 1 and 3 and frankly they're both way overpriced. 2 is a complete non starter because that's not how you do it.

I'd be suspect that the tiles are not moving. That's why grout cracks. If it were my shower, I'd pull all that grout out myself and regrout with epoxy grout. Once you get it all fixed you'll find out pretty quick if that tile is really not moving.
Unread 01-07-2019, 09:52 PM   #3
rmckee84

Grout can also crack because of overwashing when cleanjng the haze or too much water in the mix. It isn't always movement. Without being able to see what you are dealing with its hard to say.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2019, 09:00 AM   #4
Roboman9

Thanks for the responses. I suspect that it is a poor grout mixture so I think I'l have it re-grouted and hope that does it.
Unread 02-24-2020, 06:16 PM   #5
Roboman9

Hi,
Now that it has been over one year later I wanted to update folks on this.
So far so good! No cracks whatsoever. So my conclusion was the cracks were due to a poor grout mixture and not tile movement.
Unread 02-28-2020, 01:41 PM   #6
Fast eddie part deux

Rob ... you didnt say what you did. All new epoxy grout?
Unread 03-29-2020, 09:31 PM   #7
Roboman9

Re-grouted the tile floor with Fusion Pro Single Component Grout.

From the manufacturer (Custom Building Products):
"Fusion Pro is an advanced, proprietary acrylic plus silicone resin that cures as hard as cement grout. With Fusion Pro, CUSTOM created the original Single Component® Grout. This patented formula combines the best features of cement and epoxy grouts into a single product. It is not a urethane and its performance is far superior to typical pre-mix grouts."

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase