Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 01-06-2015, 11:31 PM   #1
Northmen

Restoring Travertine Floor

Rental has honed 18 X 18 Travertine that always looks dirty.Not looking to polish since it's a rental.I'm thinking of hitting it with #200 pad,sealing then floating the entire floor with epoxy grout or MAPEI Flexcolor CQ to fill in all the holes.

It looks like someone tried to fill them with cement grout at one time.
Attached Images

Unread 01-07-2015, 07:11 AM   #2
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Steve

If the floor is not polished, using unsanded grout with 100% acrylic additive is the way to go.

First you want to thoroughly clean the floor with a tile & stone specific high alkaline cleaner. This is followed by an initial grind of the floor up to 400 grit. Float the entire floor with grout (keeping the excess grout to dry on the floor).

This will be followed the next day with rehoning the floor with 400 grit.

After the floor is dry, it can be sealed.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2015, 07:48 PM   #3
Northmen

Thanks for your input doitright.

So a cement based non sanded grout will fill in the large holes?Using 100% acrylic admixture with no added water must make it much stronger with better adhesion.
Unread 01-07-2015, 08:06 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Steve, I would do that only if the "acrylic admixture" is made by or recommended by the grout manufacturer.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2015, 09:03 PM   #5
doitright

Hi Steve

Just how large are these holes you're speaking of?

If they're too big, you'll have an issue with cracking and shrinking, unless you layer the grout. You may only need to wait between 20-30 minutes between applications, but don't wait until the grout dries.

Laticrete 1600 unsanded grout and Laticrete 1776 grout enhancer is a good combination. Yes, it will create a better bond and strength (when properly mixed).

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

Unread 01-07-2015, 09:49 PM   #6
Northmen

Hi doitright.Most of the holes are small like in the last picture.

A few tiles have some large holes that have been filled like the top two pictures,The holes are about 1 to 2 inch diameter.Since they have been previously filled they are almost flush with the top of the tile.

The large holes have no depth just surface area that has been filled with grey cement grout by the previous owners.

CX,thanks for clarifying the acrylic admixture should be from the same manufacturer of the grout being used.The big box stores sell the generic stuff for concrete..
Unread 01-07-2015, 10:09 PM   #7
cx
Moderator emeritus

And it might work, Steve. But folks, even professional folks, seem to have so much trouble with cementitious grouts when using it exactly per the manufacturer's recommendations that I just don't think it prudent to stray from that at all.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2015, 11:29 AM   #8
Northmen

400 grit 17 inch Diamond Polishing Pad

Has anyone used these?At $65 a pad they seem reasonable.The lowest grit available is 400.

I'm renting a 17 inch machine from a local hardware store.

Revive-Maxx Stone and Concrete Polishing Pads with FERRZON® Stronger than Diamonds, 17"

Impregnated with FERRZON® — Stronger than Diamonds!
High abrasion & heat resistance
Can be used wet or dry
Reduces cleaning cost and time
Unread 01-31-2015, 11:47 PM   #9
doitright

Hi Steve

I'm not familiar with that particular pad. I'm sure they'll work fine if you eliminated the lippage. If not, you will experience picture framing when only using a flat pad.

Have you cleaned the floor?

Unread 02-01-2015, 12:05 AM   #10
Northmen

Hi Doitright,

I haven't started the project yet but plan on cleaning the floor first with a stone cleaner & wet vacuuming.

I'm a little confused on what pads to get.I also read that some people use the honing powders instead of diamond pads.

So far my plan is to clean,hone with 200 & 400 grit,float with the Laticrete non sanded grout with 100% acrylic additive,hone again with 400 grit then seal.
Unread 02-01-2015, 12:12 AM   #11
doitright

Hi Steve

Do you plan on addressing the lippage?

200 grit will not remove lippage, but 120 metal bonds (and some added weight to the machine) may if the lippage isn't too severe. Personally, I like to use honing powder to finish it off.

Unread 02-01-2015, 12:38 AM   #12
Northmen

Hi Doitright,I didn't think about lippage but I guess I should add that to the mix.

I do have a hand held Makita wet polisher and plan on renting a 17 inch rotary floor buffer.What would you recommend to take the lippage down with?Also what pads do you recommend using with the honing powder?

Thanks
Unread 02-01-2015, 06:03 PM   #13
Stone Dude

The bigger the holes, the more the grout will shrink when you fill it. On top of that, the more acrylic you add, the more it will shrink and crack in big holes. The acrylic add mix is great, up to a certain point, but you add so much water and liquid to this stuff and it doesn't have enough body to maintain it's integrity after it all evaporates.

We have been using Polypad Plus pads from DP Canada recently. They are the impregnated fiber pads, 17". The prices are cheaper and they work very well. Other brands you can use would be Stone Pro DIP pads, or Twister pads.

I would not bother trying to remove lippage. You have to know what you're doing and it could easily turn into a nightmare. Stick to the 220 or 400 as your lowest step and you'll be able to make a huge difference without putting yourself or the floor at risk. Not to mention you're looking at $600+ just for the diamonds to flatten the floor.

Honing powder can be used with a white, tan or natural hogs hair pad and you just add water.

Don't try to squeeze this in. Make sure you have time to adjust or you can stop at some point and pick up the next day.

MilleStone Marble and Tile Inc.
MillestoneMarble.com
Stone Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2015, 07:06 PM   #14
Northmen

Stone Dude

The lippage is very minimal , nothing over a 1/16 if that.The holes are currently filled with sanded grout which ended up turning black from dirt.

Filler options are sanded grout,non sanded grout.epoxy grout or Tenax.

Thank you for your input.
Unread 02-01-2015, 09:25 PM   #15
Stone Dude

For simplicity I would stick with sanded grout, if there is enough room for it to bond. It has a lot more body and shouldn't shrink. You could probably use a little add mix.to help it stick a little, but not much. Dont use epoxy grout. Tenax is probably not necessary for this particular floor

Grinding is grinding. If you want to, go for it, but its a world of difference between 120 metal bond and 220 resin. You have to pay close attention. There are things to watch out for that can't really be explained through text. If you do it, just go slow and take ypur time. Dont fill until you get back to about 120 resin

MilleStone Marble and Tile Inc.
MillestoneMarble.com
Stone Dude is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase