Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 08-02-2014, 04:24 PM   #1
BantyMom

Is It Possible to Clean Unsealed Grout?

Greetings!

I have been working on the Master Bathroom and between the tile guy ending up in the hospital and me ending up taking care of my aging mother, the floor ended up not being sealed.

It has been sitting there unprotected for a very long time now. No one has been walking on it much (except, apparently, some disgusting mice and some creature (possibly gigantic spiders) dragging their blood meals in and out of the register, leaving little blood trails there and in the corners), but it did gather a lot of dust and dirt. Today I very carefully vacuumed all of the grout lines and was surprised to see that most of it seems to be perfectly fine. There are, however, just a few spots where it looks like the dirt was ground in or gotten wet or something to make it stick to the grout because it didn't come up with the vacuuming.

I haven't wanted to drive it deeper into the grout, so other than vacuuming I've done nothing. What recommendations do you have to clean it further (if possible) before I seal it? Toothbrush? Stiffer brush? Compressed air? Water? Low-alkaline solution (baking soda)? High-alkaline solution (???) ?

All I know for sure is that something acidic would be way wrong. I'm also afraid I might scratch the marble or damage/remove the grout if I use a very stiff brush, so if brushes are to be involved, I would appreciate any recommendations along those lines as well.

The floor is light-colored porcelain tile with dark marble diamonds at the intersections. The grout is a light-colored (nearly white) sanded grout.

I know I am in the best of hands here and look forward to your patient answers.

Cheers,
Bantymom
*puts out a plate of brownies and snickerdoodles in grateful thanks*

"If the world were logical, men would ride side-saddle." -- Rita Mae Brown

Last edited by BantyMom; 08-02-2014 at 04:53 PM. Reason: typos
BantyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-04-2014, 05:12 AM   #2
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Banty

You are doing everything correctly and have the correct thought process!

I'd start with a tile & stone specific neutral pH cleaner. If that doesn't work, I'd move up to a high alkaline tile & stone specific neutral pH cleaner.

Easy Oxy might be an ideal candidate for your job.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase