Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-06-2020, 12:06 PM   #16
jerrymlr1

You can call me Jerry If you can get the customer to agree to the easier fix that's all the better. It makes sense then to get in there and grind it down to an acceptable surface and replace the entire floor later. Your customer sounds like a reasonable and understanding person. I don't envy your position. Good luck and if you're up for it maybe you can post a few pics of the remedy.
Unread 04-06-2020, 02:02 PM   #17
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

What about if you sand/grind it down flat, then paint it with an epoxy paint? I don't have any experience with those in that environment. It could be mixed with a very fine sand for some grip, if needed. That would create a consistent finish over the entire floor, if that would help.

Does that stuff have a glaze on it?
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2020, 01:21 PM   #18
speed51133

was this ever resolved?
Unread 04-14-2020, 01:33 PM   #19
shannona

This has not yet been resolved, but I'm hopeful. I just got off the phone with a guy who has told me of a product called Stonetech (by Laticrete). He's trying to get me in touch with the manufacturer rep, but it sounds like this might work. Going to try it (unless manuf rep says for sure it won't work) with a metal cup brush first. This product might break down the chemical bond in the epoxy, and I'd be able to remove it.

If that doesn't work, I have a set of 4" diamond pads (starting at 50 grit) to put on angle grinder (slower speed at 2,500 rpm) to try. If that doesn't work, then I'll replace.

I also (like jadnashua) had the thought of grinding down smooth and applying epoxy paint w/ non-slip additive. I'm getting pricing together on that to see what it would be, and will talk with rep on that product, too. I'll let you know if that's feasible.

Thank you all for the input. Learning a lot through this.
I'll update as things progress. Will post pics for sure, jerrylmr1.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase