Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-05-2020, 04:49 PM   #1
TexasDave

Barndominium Project

We are building a barndominium and, with the help of this forum, I hope to be able to tile the bathroom shower, the kitchen backsplash and an elevated dog bathing area. We are close to the point of having a contractor start with the drywall installation, but I need to confirm some tile related items before starting with the drywall phase.

General question: The drywall contractor has suggested having him install a product named DensShield in the shower and dog bath areas, and green board in the other wet areas - including where the kitchen backsplash will be. I had assumed I'd mount Durock or Wonderboard as the backer board for any tile areas. Any thoughts on using DensShield in place of cement board? I assume I'll apply a sealant on whichever product is installed. Is it overkill to mount cement backer board for the kitchen backsplash as my drywall contractor has suggested?

I hope to work on the shower framing this week, so I have some shower specific questions:
See attached pictures of the shower area. I've acquired a glass shower door from a friend and need to alter the framing to accommodate the door. The door measures 34 & 3/8 inches wide and 83 & 1/2 inches in height. How much clearance should I leave on the bottom and sides of the frame for the shower pan curb grout and tile - and any other items?

I plan to have a suspended seat opposite the shower head. The width is 42 & 1/4 inches. I'm thinking I'll span two or three 2x6s between the two walls, and cover/seal the top, front and bottom with cement board. The floor below the bench would be open. Does this sound workable? How many 2x6s should I run across for proper support and how should I space them?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Attached Images

Unread 04-05-2020, 06:21 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Dave. I don't like it but some installers like Denshield and use it all the time. If you use it, just make sure it's installed correctly. I wouldn't let the sheet rocker install anything in the wet areas, let the tile man use what he feels comfortable with.

The kitchen splash is a dry area, it won't hurt to have CBU but regular sheetrock is fine there.

Measure the old door across the top and again at the bottom. Shower doors are made to custom fit so make sure the width is the same top and bottom. If the door is out of whack, you'll have to make your shower jamb out of whack as well. You'll need to know the tile thickness before you'll be able to figure what you need to make the door fit. Sometimes it's more trouble than it's worth. About a year ago I replaced a shower that was only a few years old. The frameless door was in good shape and the lady wanted to re-use it. I measured the door and it was 1 inch wider at the top than the bottom. I told her sorry, no way I'm making my jamb 1 inch wider at the top. So, she had to part with 800 dollars for a new door.

No way I'd bridge 2x6's for the seat. Look into Better Bench although you might need a center support for a seat that wide. It's worth looking into.

www.davystephenstile.com

Last edited by Davy; 04-05-2020 at 06:26 PM.
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2020, 10:24 AM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Dave,

Here's another vote. In fact, I'll just second what Davy said. Sheetrockers hang sheetrock; they are not tile people. Get your tile man in on the deal right now. If you are the tile man, we need to look into some easier more advanced ways of doing tile showers. Check out the Schluter Kerdi system for one. https://www.schluter.com/schluter-us...er-System/c/SS
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2020, 11:37 AM   #4
TexasDave

I've checked the glass shower door, and it is plumb top-to-bottom and side-to-side. Once the virus situation allows, I'll visit some tile stores and select some subway tile to confirm the thickness - and report back here for the shower door rough-in.

I'm interested in doing the tile project myself, but this will be my first so I appreciate any direction. I've seen some products, including Tile Redi, Schluter and RedGard, sold at the big box stores, but I'm not sure how suitable they are for my project or lack of experience.
Unread 04-09-2020, 06:10 AM   #5
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Framing and tiling for that already made door will be exacting work, Dave, I like it.

If you decide to do the whole thing yourself you really couldn't be in better hands than the ones here.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase