Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-03-2020, 09:51 PM   #31
smifwal

You are supposed to bed the mesh tape, in the mud even though it's sticky and will stay on the wall but that is not how you should put it up

Was the tape that you put up where the tile is going alkaline resistant tape?
Unread 04-04-2020, 08:01 AM   #32
Just In Tile LLC

Used this tape on my carport to garage remodel and I loved it.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Saint-Gobai...t-Tape/4411371
Unread 04-04-2020, 08:19 AM   #33
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
It's thicker than paper tape, isn't it Justin? Is it about the same thickness as mesh tape?
ss3964spd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2020, 08:32 AM   #34
Just In Tile LLC

It is a little thicker, I'll have to compare them though and see. I don't remember thinking it was overly bulky but it's strong stuff.
Unread 04-05-2020, 09:52 PM   #35
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

I will try that thicker tape sometime.
Smifwal, uh, maybe...
Actually I didn't use alkaline resistant tape in those areas. I plan on covering it with 8+9 if that makes it better.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

It's just a clever handle.
Shady at Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2020, 06:19 PM   #36
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

Drywall is finished. I will give it a light sand and prime it tomorrow. I am getting ready to add screws and washers to the kerdi, cut out and install the niche, instal kerdi around the window, and run the kerdi band everywhere. Questions. Do you all prefer primer on fresh drywall? Do you try to get away with 1 coat of the finished paint? Anyone have any luck or like using the paint and primer in one?
What do you do it square up shower rough ins? I find that just running screws through the valve mounting holes doesn't work. I had to use a pipe clamp/strap on the hot water side so that it pulled the valve to the left and made the plaster ring relatively in plane with the kerdi.

Unread 04-08-2020, 06:56 PM   #37
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

Crap. I centered the niche during rough framing. I did not take into account that the walls were out of plumb and out of plane. I shimmed the left wall out about 1/2 inch at this height. This changed true center of the tiled area. Should I tear everything out and start over? Should I tell the customer? Or should I ignore it and call it good?
Circled lines are the center.
It's technically 1/4 out which makes it look like it's 1/2 out.

Last edited by Shady at Best; 04-08-2020 at 07:34 PM.
Unread 04-08-2020, 07:16 PM   #38
smifwal

Cut the kerdi board on the side you need to move it towards, add a couple of studs on the other side for something to screw to and band your seams and you're back in business.
Unread 04-09-2020, 01:27 PM   #39
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

Smifwal. I am in luck. I was thinking that the 2x4 on the left was a floor to ceiling stud. I wasn't going to mess with it but it's just 2 screws. Easy peasy.

Unread 04-10-2020, 04:55 PM   #40
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

What to do next.
I am Waiting for filler piece for the vanity to come in. I wanted to tile the floor before I did the shower walls. I want to have the vanity installed before I do the floor. Decided to do the electrical instead. I usually don't do electrical until after the first coat of paint. Still waiting on the paint color.....
I guess I will tile the shower next.
The reason I am posting to kill time. It's why I have been around so much lately. Also to see if you all use automatic light switches and humidistats for the exhaust fan? They are code in the county I am in and are probably code state wide. Are they code in your hood? I use them in bathrooms no matter if the job is permitted or not. I like them. Don't really care for the $25 price tag.

Other questions for you all. Do you use the premade stub outs for your plumbing? If not, do you make a point to use the heavier gauge type L copper for your stub outs? I notice the premade ones are usually type L. I would imagine the thicker copper is better for compression fittings but I could also see the lighter stuff being better since it is easier to compress.

Now you got me thinking. Do you like the flexible braided supply lines?
What do you think about the 3/8 pex supply lines. I used a pex (plastic) supply line in my house to try it out. I might like them better than braided.
Btw, I am done buying this stuff from the box stores. I plan on making bi annual purchases of these items from supplyhouse.com. I can get true steal braided lines for half the price. I can get angle stops for a third the price and the little chrome escutcheon for 25 cents. I will load up on the common stuff.

You guys know that I am always trying to do things the best way possible and use the best materials. Here's me current fix for wobbly drop ears. Speaking of which. I will post a pic of the rough plumbing for you all to inspect and make future suggestions.

Thanks

Unread 04-11-2020, 06:06 AM   #41
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Though I've never used one I don't think I'd be a fan of wall mounted humidistats. I can't help but think that there will be a ton of moisture in the air before that thing senses it. A humidistat built into the fan's grill would be better I think, and more so if it were installed just above the moisture source. I used a simple push button timer, but I select the max of 60 minutes every time.

Auto light switches have their place. I have two; one in a dark laundry room and another in an equally dark adjacent hallway. I like lighting "options" in most any room, and my master bath has 3; the wall sconces, the 5 cans in the main section, and 3 cans above the shower. Different ones get used at different times, and all are on dimmers. I do have 1 auto switch but it controls only a built in night light next to the toilet. Anyway, auto switches are not residential code here. Yet.

Don't do this stuff for a living so don't care about premade stub outs. If a choice was offered I'd use type M over L, but wouldn't lose sleep with L. SS braided supplies all day long, and many new faucets have them already attached. Good quality 1/4" stops. 3-eared drops. All from the big orange box.
ss3964spd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2020, 09:12 AM   #42
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
If a choice was offered I'd use type M over L, but wouldn't lose sleep with L.
Curious why that would be, Dan? I'd chose just the opposite.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2020, 02:02 PM   #43
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

Dan,
I think you would be surprised how well the auto humidistats work. I was skeptical the first time I HAD to use one per code. I turned the shower on to hot and waited. I watched the cloud of steam roll my way and the fan kicked on basically the same instant that I could sense the humidity. It cleared it out and turned off at what seemed the appropriate time.

My orange box store doesn't stock true steal braided 3/8 supply lines. They have a plastic replica. I haven't really had a problem with either one bursting. But the issue I do see is when they are over tightened or some numb nuts puts teflon tape or pipe dope on them.

I have on many occasions seen the (everbuilt) 3/4 steal braided water heater supply lines bust. I will never use them on water heaters. They burst and I they leak at the fittings when the wrong gasket/ washer is used.

Unread 04-11-2020, 03:01 PM   #44
PC7060
...unrepentant, detail focused, over-analyzer.

Gotta weight in on the autosensing fan controls. So much more effective than the previous method I used which consisted of yelling “did you turn the fan on?!?” at the kids.

My recommended control is: Leviton IPHS5-1LW Decora In-Wall Humidity Sensor & Fan Control , 3A, Single Pole.

I’ve installed them is several bathrooms and have found the default out of the box setting to provide optimal performance.

Regarding Dan and Cx comments about copper pipe gauge, I always use L. I think the thicker wall is work the extra few bucks.
PC7060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2020, 05:01 PM   #45
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
They burst and I they leak at the fittings when the wrong gasket/ washer is used.
Not sure why you'd fault the product when the wrong parts were used, Travis.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase