Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-04-2020, 08:02 PM   #1
james24

Porcelain tile chipping.

Hey guys
It’s my first post here. I’ve been watching a lot of YouTube videos regarding this particular issue. I’m by no means a tiler by trade. Just a sparky trying to learn new tricks. I work high rise and normally I come across tilers but lately I’ve been stuck in slab and rough in and I’m usually out before the finishing guys sets foot.

I’m in the process of redoing my bathroom. I use to have walk in shower that I now turned into a tub.

Now my issue is cutting the tile. I bought this wet saw because it was 50% off and seems better than the $150 ryobi 7in. My issue is that the chipping was present in both wet saws.

I have tried
scoring the top of the tile with the blade
Going slow
Letting the blade do the cutting

I’ll post a few photos of what’s up in my little project.

Below is the noticeable chipping of the porcelain on the finish face

Plumber said it’s better to do straight runs than using fittings

It’s the rubber membrane to seal water

I’ve dropped a couple tiles so I’ve been practicing my cuts on those before I tackle the L cuts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unread 04-04-2020, 08:26 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum, James.

Is the blade you’re using the one that was included with the saw? If so, it’s helpful to know that these are typically inexpensive blades that might not cut hard porcelain very well. It’s also helpful to know that a misaligned saw can cause chipping problems. Which saw is it? And have you looked into any possible misalignment problems?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2020, 08:41 PM   #3
james24

Porcelain tile chipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Guy - Kg View Post
Welcome to the forum, James.

Is the blade you’re using the one that was included with the saw? If so, it’s helpful to know that these are typically inexpensive blades that might not cut hard porcelain very well. It’s also helpful to know that a misaligned saw can cause chipping problems. Which saw is it? And have you looked into any possible misalignment problems?

Hey Kg
I have bought a porcelain specific blade. It cost me $55 CAD which I thought is a lot but I’m not sure how much I should be paying for a good blade. I did use a square ruler as well as a speed square and everything seems to be in check upon installation.
What I just noticed now though is that when I put the sanding block against the blade, there seem to be a wobble. The difference from the closest point to the furthest point from the block to the blade is roughly 1-2mm.

Last edited by james24; 04-04-2020 at 08:50 PM.
james24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2020, 08:58 PM   #4
Tool Guy - Kg

No need to quote.

Details would help on which saw and which blade you’ve got. Until then, I’ll give generic suggestions: Have you tried sharpening/dressing the blade? As far as scoring the tile, it’s not normally helpful when it comes to a wetsaw. Have you checked for blade wobble due to a non-flat blade or a bent or wobbly arbor?

Unread 04-04-2020, 09:04 PM   #5
james24

Sorry I thought I’ve posted those details

Ridgid R4031S

homedepot.ca/product/ridgid-9-amp-7-inch-portable-wet-tile-saw-with-stand/1000744927

Unread 04-04-2020, 09:14 PM   #6
Tool Guy - Kg

Ok, thanks. That saw has mixed reviews. Some work great and some, not so great. I don’t have experience with that blade. But I can tell you that Ridgid is not known for high performance wetsaw blades. I do see that it is segmented. And that allows for a faster cut, but it could be contributing to the chipping.

Absent other problems (things like: blade wobble, misslignment, lack of proper water flow on the blade), I think the first thing I’d try is sharpening/dressing the blade. You can buy a dressing stone. But many pros just use a cement paver. Cut through a cement paver multiple times while restricting most of the water. The idea is for the material being cut to not be flushed away like it normally should....but for it to produce a slurry. This slurry is very, very abrasive and helps to wear away the softer matrix of the blade to expose the diamond bits...making it cut faster and cleaner.

Last edited by Tool Guy - Kg; 04-10-2020 at 11:27 PM.
Unread 04-04-2020, 09:17 PM   #7
james24

Porcelain tile chipping.

I have checked for blade wobble but it wouldn’t let me post a video. The blade that’s currently in the saw is brand new. So is the stock blade that came with the cutter. How do I go about checking the arbor?

Maybe I’ve got a blade from a bad batch then? Do you have recommendations. I do have a dressing stone(bought one from homedepot. I will use it now as I didn’t use it as aggressively as you’ve stated (less water)

Last edited by james24; 04-04-2020 at 09:44 PM.
james24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2020, 09:53 PM   #8
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

The blade could be fine, but the arbor may not be aligned so the blade wobbles once it is tightened down and ready to cut. That's what you imply. It could be that the washers the blade tightens down to are not aligned or consistent in thickness or are bent a bit. It doesn't take much. If that's the case, a better blade won't help.

If you have a dial caliper, that could be definitive on how much wobble there is. Ideally, it would be zero, but would be likely at least a few thousandths. A lot more, and all bets are off.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2020, 10:01 PM   #9
james24

Porcelain tile chipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
The blade could be fine, but the arbor may not be aligned so the blade wobbles once it is tightened down and ready to cut. That's what you imply. It could be that the washers the blade tightens down to are not aligned or consistent in thickness or are bent a bit. It doesn't take much. If that's the case, a better blade won't help.

If you have a dial caliper, that could be definitive on how much wobble there is. Ideally, it would be zero, but would be likely at least a few thousandths. A lot more, and all bets are off.

Thanks for the reply. I will try and get my hands on a caliper. I know I have one from my engine rebuild days but who knows. I will update again once I’ve checked. I’ll post the YouTube link though and hopefully it’ll give you guys some idea on what’s up. I was told not to overly tighten the nut that clamps the blade to prevent premature warping.

[url][/youtu.be/euf3x6zt464URL]
Unread 04-04-2020, 10:46 PM   #10
Kman

If you're just starting this project, at least the tile setting part, you may be money ahead to spring for a better blade now.

These are pretty good.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2020, 11:37 PM   #11
Tool Guy - Kg

I agree with Kevin on those blades.

Is the chipping occurring on the front of the blade as it cuts the tile on the “down-stroke” of the blade? Or on the backside on the “up-stroke” of the blade?

And is it chipping on the left, right, or both sides of the blade?

Unread 04-05-2020, 01:02 PM   #12
SpaceCadet

No comments on the double vapor barrier?

If you run out of chipped tiles to do test-cuts on, go to home depot and ask them for broken ones. They have plenty, and will probably give them to you for free if you ask nicely.
Unread 04-05-2020, 07:36 PM   #13
james24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCadet View Post
No comments on the double vapor barrier?

If you run out of chipped tiles to do test-cuts on, go to home depot and ask them for broken ones. They have plenty, and will probably give them to you for free if you ask nicely.
Lol what do you mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Guy - Kg View Post
I agree with Kevin on those blades.

Is the chipping occurring on the front of the blade as it cuts the tile on the “down-stroke” of the blade? Or on the backside on the “up-stroke” of the blade?

And is it chipping on the left, right, or both sides of the blade?

Thanks I’ll figure this out in a bit

Unread 04-05-2020, 09:59 PM   #14
Kman

He's talking about the back wall of your shower. I didn't see the plastic on there because it's clear and I was looking at the pictures on my phone.

Whenever you have two layers of a moisture barrier, you trap moisture between them. That can result in mold growth over time because it can't escape. The easiest way to fix it is to make slits in the plastic, but in your situation, that would require taking the wall board down.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2020, 10:02 PM   #15
smifwal

Quote:
Originally Posted by james24
. Lol what do you mean

You got plastic over your insulation and then you put aqua defence up over your CBU, that would be my guess anyway

Kevin types faster than I do, apparently...

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase