Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-04-2020, 04:00 PM   #16
cx
Moderator emeritus

Jim, I think Mike is talking about installing the CBU over the tops of the screw heads he used to fasten the steel studs together, rather than the screws used to attach the CBU.

Those heads are not likely to sink themselves into the underside of the CBU at all, Mike. A stout whack on the CBU with a medium pounder directly over the screw head may help with that, but with some types of CBU that's more likely to do unwanted damage to the face of the CBU. I've installed drywall over steel framing, but never CBU and don't know just how I'd approach that if I needed my CBU to remain flat and it was an exterior application.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2020, 07:00 PM   #17
speed51133

Thanks cx, you are right.

So no wet shimming of any kind? A big head of liquid nails on the studs?

I suppose foam board would work, but $$$$.
Attached Images

Unread 04-04-2020, 07:17 PM   #18
cx
Moderator emeritus

You can certainly try anything you like, Mike, but I wouldn't advise bonding any CBU to the metal studs using only construction adhesive. With the right product it might work, but all the construction adhesives I've used really want to be clamped or mechanically fastened until cured, which really leaves you right back where you are now. You could try a panel without such clamping or fasteners, I suppose, and give it a couple days to cure and test it. I gave up on Liquid Nails products years ago, but that's also up to you.

I've shimmed under wall sheathing with roofing felt when necessary and that might work OK in your application. You'll not find any standards from any industry for that method, but it's something you could consider.

Or just install a section of your CBU with screws and see how bad the surface is. Maybe you could get by with some patching compound to flatten the surface.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 04-04-2020, 07:33 PM   #19
speed51133

Thanks cx. I would still use fasteners, but only in corners until the goo cures. Then fasten it all over. Maybe roofing felt will work also, just harder to trim it and make shims of varying thickness.
Unread 04-04-2020, 08:01 PM   #20
cx
Moderator emeritus

Also more difficult to staple the felt shims to the metal studs, I'd think.

Unread 04-21-2020, 01:24 PM   #21
speed51133

I ran out of self drilling cement board screws. Any issue with using zinc plated modified truss screws? I'm thinking about corrosion issues with cement board.
Attached Images

Unread 04-22-2020, 02:45 AM   #22
speed51133

Any ideas? No stores here sell self drilling cement board screws. I have to order them online. I have all the time in the world this week. Not so much after that.
Unread 04-22-2020, 09:36 AM   #23
cx
Moderator emeritus

I've used a gaggle of those self-drilling truss head screws in protected exterior applications, Mike, but never in fully exposed areas nor with concrete. Don't know how well they weather.

I don't see the contact with the CBU being much of an issue at all, but the thinset mortar later might affect the heads. To what extent I can't say.

I think you should give it a try and tear some of it apart in a few years and give us a report.

Unread 04-23-2020, 06:23 AM   #24
speed51133

Surprisingly, pointed tip cbu screws penetrated with moderate pressure. The experiment will have to wait.
Attached Images

Unread 04-25-2020, 05:32 AM   #25
speed51133

Progress
Attached Images

Unread 05-06-2020, 08:42 AM   #26
speed51133

Have any of you guys used Fibalath? It is fiberglass grid to replace metal lath.
https://us.adfors.com/building-produ...hVYghFC7RdL7EQ

They sell a roll of 25x4ft at menards for $40. I am planning to use it instead of steel mesh for my concrete countertop. It is considerably less expensive than the fiberglass mesh sold by concrete countertop suppliers and looks very similar. Thanks for nay feedback
Unread 05-06-2020, 10:22 PM   #27
cx
Moderator emeritus

Not sure I'd want that in a concrete countertop, Mike, but then I wouldn't want expanded metal lath in there, either.

It depends upon just how you make your top, but you really want a welded wire mesh for your reinforcement if it's to be a monolithic concrete pour.

Unread 05-07-2020, 06:16 AM   #28
speed51133

One more question for you guys, or just cx!

Is ledger stone paneling suitable for outdoor installation in freezing climates? How about slate ledger stone?

Any tips for mortar selection? I have Floor and Decor(Mapei) and Homer around my area.
Attached Images

Last edited by speed51133; 05-07-2020 at 08:44 AM.
speed51133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2020, 09:55 AM   #29
cx
Moderator emeritus

CX ain't the right guy. While terribly familiar with them, he abandoned those "freezing climates" before he was old enough to vote.

But the manufacturer of the product you plan to use is the best source for your answer, I know several of the ceramic tile installation products have developed "systems" for the installation of those stone paneling products due to failures of the stone (or manufactured stone) installations. All the methods involve a direct bonded waterproofing membrane behind the installation and a specific bonding mortar from their product line, of course. I recommend you look into that. Laticrete was the first company with which I'm familiar to have developed such a "system," but I know they're not the only ones.

Y'all must have some big animals up there. Even here in Texas where everything is bigger, I've never seen anyone resort to the use of a chainsaw in their food preparation!

Unread 05-07-2020, 09:59 AM   #30
speed51133

good eye. The fire pit is just out of frame.

When you say direct bonded waterproofing, you referring to something like redgard?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase