Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > The Mud Box

Sponsors

Unread 03-21-2020, 05:36 PM   #46
smifwal

When I was at home Depot yesterday a guy was helping me and was using the computer to do so and kept scrolling passed the information I was looking for (very irritating) he asked does that help ya? So I grabbed the mouse and scrolled to what I was looking for. This guy coughed in to his elbow pit, then I smell a halls cough drop and I thought you son of a bitch!!! I should have just looked it up on my phone
Unread 03-21-2020, 07:49 PM   #47
mullet
░░░░░░░

Some big wig at walmart said people are buying more then Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'll fill up the freezer as soon as the wind dies down and I can run offshore.
Unread 03-22-2020, 02:47 AM   #48
smifwal

This is from a article pertaining to the KC metro area

: Authorities said beginning Tuesday, March 24, all residents will be expected to stay at home except for essential needs, or if they work for essentual businesses or services.

For purposes of this order, permissible “essential activities” will mean:

To engage in activities or perform tasks essential to their health and safety, or to the health and safety of their family and close personal acquaintances, such as, by way of example only and without limitation, obtaining medical supplies or medication, visiting a health care professional, or obtaining supplies they need to work from home;

To obtain necessary services or supplies for themselves and their family or household members, or close personal acquaintances, or to deliver those services or supplies to others, such as, by way of example only and without limitation, canned food, dry goods, fresh fruits and vegetables, pet supply, fresh meats, fish, and poultry, and any other household consumer products, and products necessary to maintain the safety, sanitation, and essential operation of residences;

To assist in the preparation of food and drink for delivery and carry out, or to pick up food or drink for carry out.
To engage in outdoor activity, provided the individuals comply with Social Distancing Requirements as defined in this Section, such as, by way of example and without limitation, walking, biking, hiking, or running;
To perform work providing essential products and services at an Essential Business or to otherwise carry out activities specifically permitted in this Order; and
To care for a family member, close personal acquaintance, or pet in another household;
“Essential activities” do not include weddings, funerals, wakes, memorial services, or similar gatherings.

Daycares and early childhood programs remain exempt from this order.

I am working on a flip house off my own, so I will not be staying home, hopefully home Depot will still be open.
Unread 03-22-2020, 01:23 PM   #49
Just In Tile LLC

Yeah it’s sorta a catch 22, go to work and half the people understand why you’re doing it because they would if they could and the other half see you as walking germ factory helping the thing become a pandemic. I see both sides and understand it.

At the end of the day everyone is going to mostly do what they can to protect others as long as they aren’t in a dire situation themselves.

Shutting the economy down like this I feel it’s not gonna just pick back up when things settle.

As for me I’ll tile where I can and consciously be aware of my germ footprint.
Unread 03-22-2020, 02:32 PM   #50
PC7060
...unrepentant, detail focused, over-analyzer.

Interesting. The Home Depot near me said (someone at service desk) that HD would claim essential business status since they provide material for repair of critical systems such as electrical and plumbing.

I thought “yay!”

HD looks pretty normal but only bread in grocery store is the store brand white bread. I’m not picky so picked so up but I’m sure I’ll hear about it from the boss.
PC7060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2020, 11:13 AM   #51
Jim Farrell Tiler
dont blame me i didnt vote for him

New Zealand is going into 4 week shut down,in 24 hrs, we have just gutted our kitchen in preparation for fitting a new ons so no kitchen for me, my son had just done the same to his only bathroom/laundry
Unread 03-23-2020, 09:04 PM   #52
smifwal

Guy asked me the yesterday if I was sheltering in place? I said no but I only really go to home Depot, Lowe's, Sam's club and Costco. He said well are you practicing social distancing? I said, hell I've been practicing social distancing for like the last 10 years I'm a bleeping pro

City wide lock down starts tonight at midnight except for essentials. It is like spring break for grown ups. I will still be going to work on the flipper, so just another day for me.
Unread 03-24-2020, 06:43 AM   #53
mullet
░░░░░░░

I am more worried about the economy then the flu part 3.
Unread 03-24-2020, 08:59 AM   #54
smifwal

The economy is going to be in the toilet and the 1% are going to make millions off it.
Unread 03-24-2020, 10:13 AM   #55
jerrymlr1

I read an article that explained how short sellers made over 300 billion on short sales. They basically sell off at the higher price with the option to buy back low. I could be wrong but as I understand it, let's say your stock is at 150, you sell at 140 because you know it's going to drop way lower. You sell with the option to buy back and you do at 100, or even lower. If you have millions in said stock you have just made millions in a few days just by shifting a load of stock from, "I own it" to "I don't own it" to "I own it". It should be illegal IMO.
Unread 03-24-2020, 10:58 AM   #56
cx
Moderator emeritus

Really no different from those of us who would try to buy it at 100 and wait for it to go back up to 150, Jerry. Short selling is generally considered a good bit riskier, but still the same buy-low,sell-high theory, just in reverse. You just do the sell-high before you do the buy-low.

And the stocks sold short do already exist. The short seller doesn't usually own the stocks himself, he has to "borrow" them (rent, actually) from someone else in the market and pay them back when he sells.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2020, 11:34 AM   #57
jerrymlr1

I guess. I should have said, if there is a nefarious slant to this then it should be illegal. I am not an envious person by any means. If "whoever" can make a buck, or jillion, have at it, as long as laws aren't broken. Heck, the people I work for have hundreds of millions and more often than not, billion$.
Unread 03-24-2020, 02:40 PM   #58
Kman

The ones that should worry are the men and women of Congress who were privy to all of this before it went public and sold all their stock before it dropped.

Aw, who am I kidding? They never have to worry!!

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2020, 05:00 PM   #59
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMAN
The ones that should worry are the men and women of Congress who were privy to all of this before it went public and sold all their stock before it dropped.

Aw, who am I kidding? They never have to worry!!
FWIW, insider trading is illegal. Now, whether those involved ever get caught AND convicted, often being connected, may not happen as often as it should. It's sort of hard to prove. But, one person meeting with friends, telling them things are going to get worse, selling stock, and then claiming he's not guilty of anything after receiving classified government briefings, should not only lose his seat, but be fined, and chastised nationally...if, what appears to be true, is.

There's thems that have and then the rest of us. We'd like to believe justice is blind, but that's not always the case. The current administration is certainly not helping the matter, IMHO.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2020, 05:50 PM   #60
jerrymlr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
We'd like to believe justice is blind, but that's not always the case.
I would say it's hardly ever the case.
Quote:
The current administration is certainly not helping the matter, IMHO.
I disagree with that big time. Whatever Jim. I'll leave it at that and hope this thread survives the PC club.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase