Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 02-21-2020, 06:35 PM   #136
makethatkerdistick

I really like Isaac's channel. He's creative and doesn't take the industry spiel as gospel. He's really probing the weak spots in Schluter's design. Isaac is also a member here, but I haven't seen a recent post by him.

I think that if the Kerdi/thinset assembly is used intermittently and allowed to dry out between uses, then it will work just as intended and never really leak.
Technically, it's quasi waterproof but not absolutely. If constantly submerged in water, the thinset will eventually pass on the moisture and make the pan leak slightly. It's to be expected as thinset itself is not waterproof.

What I found more disturbing is that Isaac has shown in one or two of his more recent demolition videos that the fleece on one round Kerdi drain had actually delaminated. That to me is something I am worried about. Is this a manufacturing flaw? What gives?

I have two Kerdi drains installed in my house, one round one, one linear one. Will the glue on the linear drain delaminate down the road? Will the fleece on the round drain also delaminate at some point? I am not too worried about it right now but can't help but wonder. If any of this happened, then I am 100% certain Schluter would deny my claim as I have used modified thinset on my installs. And even if I hadn't, I am sure they would find an installation error rather than acknowledge anything else. I am kind of pessimistic like that and secretly hoping that I am wrong.

Were I to do my two Kerdi showers over again, I'd certainly apply something like the Ardex coating at least around the pan area for extra insurance.
Unread 02-21-2020, 07:25 PM   #137
cx
Moderator emeritus

Mike, take a look at the video Monte linked here in post #135. The video producer says that test was done in response to the comments about the test you're referencing, which he acknowledges was a "complete disaster."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang
What I found more disturbing is that Isaac has shown in one or two of his more recent demolition videos that the fleece on one round Kerdi drain had actually delaminated. That to me is something I am worried about. Is this a manufacturing flaw? What gives?
Wolfgang, I, too, was concerned about that video showing the fleece coming off the Kerdi membrane in one of Isaac's videos. I've never experienced that and don't recall anyone on this site ever reporting seeing such. And we (TYW) have done all manner of "testing" of Kerdi and similar products over the years. I hafta think that was a manufacturering defect, but I have no idea what might have caused it nor how frequently it may have occurred.

I've not yet had occasion to tear out any of my Kerdi or other direct bonded waterproofing membrane showers to date to see how they've fared. None of them are yet of legal voting age, but at lest a couple are well into their teens. If I should live long enough to see one fail, I promise to report the apparent causes here.

I enjoy Isaac's test videos as they represent some real world usage of various products. Not particularly scientific, perhaps, but he lets the viewer see what he's done, what he's doing, and what results he sees. You can pick apart his methods and even question his intent if you like, but you do get to see the results of what he's done and form you own opinions.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2020, 02:51 AM   #138
CRB
Tile, stone and mosaic installer

In reply to #116 hopefully there is the UK file withis
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 551639_Folder_KERDI_GB.pdf (1.97 MB, 29 views)

Colin Barber Tiling Co.
In Christchurch New Zealand. From London UK
CRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2020, 02:58 AM   #139
CRB
Tile, stone and mosaic installer

Success! The UK uses and refers to British Standard codes and EU regs. only. Never ANSI - a few of us refer/regard both as individuals. There are some differences.
It will be ingeresting to see if the UK tile industy moves towards US / ANSI tile world in the post-brexit years.

Colin Barber Tiling Co.
In Christchurch New Zealand. From London UK
CRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2020, 07:05 AM   #140
RichVT
Vermont Remodeling Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by makethatkerdistick
If any of this happened, then I am 100% certain Schluter would deny my claim as I have used modified thinset on my installs. And even if I hadn't, I am sure they would find an installation error rather than acknowledge anything else. I am kind of pessimistic like that and secretly hoping that I am wrong.
I think you might be wrong based on my interaction with Schluter employees. My impression is that they take any failure of their products personally and will go to great lengths to find and analyse the problem and solve it. I might be wrong also but that is the impression that I got.
Unread 02-22-2020, 08:24 AM   #141
makethatkerdistick

Rich, I hope I'd be wrong as I really think their products are generally of great quality. Communication with them has always been great, but I am generally distrustful when it comes to warranties involving an installed product whose replacement could include a lot of collateral damage.

CX, good to see that I am not the only one on here worried by the delamination. If this was a manufacturing defect and they've since improved the process, then I'd like to know what time period was affected. Certainly haven't heard of any recall-like action by Schluter. I wonder what their official position would be on this? I'd assume if there were such a thing as an official recall, it might be financially deleterious.
Unread 02-22-2020, 08:42 AM   #142
jerrymlr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang
but I am generally distrustful when it comes to warranties involving an installed product
I disregard them altogether. Most of the warranties that I have read say that they will replace the product used and that's it. They cover their ass from the start. Can't say I blame them. I think the maufacturers let the bean counters and pr folks do the math and proceed from there.
Unread 02-22-2020, 10:01 AM   #143
Dave Gobis
da Man!

So should I start posting all the failure pictures of the waterproofing in a bag or bucket products? I can include several of the latest coveted products. In the final analysis it always seems to come back to not following instructions or improper selection for project performance. Jerry has the correct answer, warranties are disclaimers. Some are written specifically to prevent successful claims.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2020, 02:03 PM   #144
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

Oh Dave please do!!

CTEF Certified Installer
I lost my hero on 5-21-16 You will be missed. Semper Fi
tilemanct is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase