Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 01-11-2020, 08:01 PM   #1
Atlas

DIY Hell

So I've been lurking on these forums for years; but after this experience I had to make a post.

(Apologize for the wall of text)

I have been in tile installation and sales for most of my short life, it's a passion and I love it, and I'm half decent at what I do, not perfect but I keep all NTCA standards to provide a job I'm proud of, but I get looked down on a lot because of my age.

Today I had a weekend warrior come in because he wanted to build himself a roman tub, kind of a big project but possible with some determination. As we were chatting I realized that his plan was to build a box out of drywall and studs and tile directly over it, he though tile and grout was waterproof. Now I'm not an asshole, we all start somewhere and need to be shown the ropes, so I walked him through the steps of waterproofing, setting up a mud bed, the whole shebang. I even showed him a premade Wedi tub you can tile right over. The guy was having none of it explained how, "I don't know what I'm talking about because I haven't experienced real life yet" Walked out of my shop and said he'd get what he needs at <<insert Big Box here>> because he doesn't want some shit punk trying to sell him crap he doesn't need...

This man is going to destroy his home and I feel personal responsible for not being able to talk him out of it. How do you guys build your credibility am I just doomed from young age?

TL;DR: Old man no like young punk potentially destroys own house, what do?
Unread 01-11-2020, 08:04 PM   #2
Jim Farrell Tiler
dont blame me i didnt vote for him

his problem, jog on
Unread 01-11-2020, 08:13 PM   #3
Kman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas
This man is going to destroy his home and I feel personal responsible for not being able to talk him out of it.
You tried to tell him, and it's obvious even to me that he wasn't going to listen. Why beat yourself up over it? When you think about it, you really have zero control over what someone else does, unless they're your minor child.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2020, 08:25 PM   #4
Atlas

Quote:
You tried to tell him, and it's obvious even to me that he wasn't going to listen.
Quote:
his problem, jog on
I guess I feel like as the pro it's my job to make sure people's projects dont get FUBAR, but can't help everybody.

If it's just the case of the guy being a dick, then I can almost guarentee I'll see him in a month trying to pin something on me when his insurance claim fails.
Unread 01-11-2020, 08:57 PM   #5
PC7060
...unrepentant, detail focused, over-analyzer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
... you really have zero control over what someone else does, unless they're your minor child
I’m sure how much control I had over children in their teens! Although the liability was certainly a concern.

Atlas - when I hear things like this I think of Forest Gump quote “stupid is as stupid does!”

And age doesn’t protect you from exposure to stupid. You just have less brain cells left that are willing to deal with it.

Jog on my friend!!

Last edited by PC7060; 01-11-2020 at 09:04 PM.
PC7060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2020, 09:05 PM   #6
speed51133

Talking

As long as he seals the grout!
Unread 01-11-2020, 10:31 PM   #7
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Your job is to do the best you can. If that’s offensive to someone, there’s nothing you can do. It’s a free country. I, too, hope the lesson they’re likely to learn doesn’t hurt more than their ego or pocketbook.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2020, 01:27 AM   #8
smifwal

Forget it and carry on. Keep spreading the good word and be happy when people take your advice not troubled when they don't. You can lead them to water but you can't make them drink.
Unread 01-12-2020, 08:32 AM   #9
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
As long as he seals the grout!
Took the words right outta my mouth.

Nothing signed, no money exchanged, nothng he can pin on you at all, Josh.

Sometimes you run into people that you just cannot get through to. Would he have taken you're advice if you were (much) older? Perhaps, but you'll never know. But what you will know is he'll remember what you said when that tub fails.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2020, 01:05 PM   #10
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

On the bright side, since he's making it out of drywall it should swell and expand rather quickly before it destroys the entire home.

Curious how the new Delta Cruzer tile saw stacks up against Dewalt? Check out the full review and video on DIYTileGuy
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2020, 03:40 PM   #11
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I agree with the others. We've had a few DIY'ers here on the forum that are the same way. They try to talk us into telling them what they want to hear and that the way they plan to build their shower is okay. Tell him the correct way to do it and move on.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2020, 04:22 PM   #12
Dave Gobis
da Man!

I would be happy he went elsewhere. Yeah, too bad the writing is on the wall, but you are not going to change his mind when he is full of pride in his perception of his skills.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2020, 07:20 AM   #13
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

That's gonna be one big bill $$$$$ to repair after it mega fails!!! Be thankful you have knowledge at a young age. The best thing that happened here is he walked out. At a young age we feel we need to land every job and sometimes do things that will get us in trouble. Looking back I cant believe some of the things I did 25+ years ago when I started in the biz. Don't let it get to you. You have resources available to you we didn't have years back. This forum is one of them. It is an amazing source of information with some of the best installers around. Keep learning every day. Heck the TCNA Handbook went from 3/8" thick to almost 2" thick. That's a lot of reading and install methods.

CTEF Certified Installer
I lost my hero on 5-21-16 You will be missed. Semper Fi
tilemanct is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2020, 09:29 AM   #14
Fast eddie part deux

Sealing the grout is only half the solution, he needs to use green board too.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase