Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 04-12-2015, 11:11 AM   #1
Shadyops

caulk stained marble

So I made a rookie mistake and used this colored "siliconized caulk" on my shower marble. I've used this stuff on marble before with no problems and assumed it would be ok but after a night the marble appears to have wicked up the pigment or oils or something and it really gives it a crummy appearance.

Any ideas? I would replace the tile but I used redgard for the moisture barrier which is between the backerboard and the thinset for the tile. So if I removed a tile I compromise the moisture barrier. Am I stuck with it?

Help!
Attached Images

Unread 04-12-2015, 11:57 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Ben.

Almost impossible that you'd remove those tiles without destroying your RedGard layer. But you won't know until you try.

In my experience that siliconized acrylic is less likely to migrate into your stone than would 100 percent silicone, but I haven't done a lot of that work. First thing I'd advise is that you wait a week or two before doing anything and see if that area might dry out.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2015, 06:53 AM   #3
Shadyops

Thanks CX

Yeah I was hoping it would fade. If it doesn't I'll just live with it. The way I look at it is if I damage the redgard layer then I basically have to remove ALL the cement board and start over. I'm not quite ready to do that. I know some people don't use a moisture barrier in the shower, but I think it's necessary.

I wonder what exactly the tile sucked up - is it an oil or something else? Who knows...
Unread 04-17-2015, 10:20 AM   #4
ClaimsGuy

Have you considered applying a stone poultice?

You can try applying it to a small area that is out of the main line of sight as a test to see if it will work out.

Most of the time these are used as spot removers so it may turn out to be a chore to use over a large area.

http://miraclesealants.com/download/...oval_guide.pdf
ClaimsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2015, 04:54 AM   #5
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Ben

It looks like moisture wicking to me.

Is the marble polished? If so, it will take longer to dry out.

If you decide to poultice, please TEST first. The poultice may initially appear to make the area worse. I usually don't like to use a poultice until I know what type of stain I'm trying to remove. What caulk did you use?

Please report back.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2015, 08:21 PM   #6
Ageless Stoneworks
Taking your kitchen for Granite?

Some marble will react like that to some glues and caulk. Their is not really much you can do about it. We always seal our marble countertops before we apply any type of adhesive or caulk.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase