Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 02-20-2015, 09:46 AM   #16
Stone Dude

I don't know if naptha would be okay or not.

MilleStone Marble and Tile Inc.
MillestoneMarble.com
Stone Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2015, 06:54 AM   #17
KBsmith

Masking tape

I had a professional Restoration company come out Friday and he wanted me to try 91% alcohol first( he did part of a stripe with some success) I could not duplicate. His next suggestion is to come out with a wet polishing diamond pad and try a few areas. I believe this will be my next step. His company came highly recommended . $125 an hour, but I believe it is my only hope besides tearing out and replacing. Builder in "lala land " just wants to walk away and not get the $3200. Punch list money. His exact words were that the floor is acceptable and that again I am too picky Any more suggestions?
Unread 02-24-2015, 11:08 PM   #18
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Kerrie

What a horrible response from your builder. Hopefully none of the subcontractors will be filing a lien on your house because of nonpayment.

I never like to attempt to grind out stains. Usually all you do is wind up dishing out the stone without removing the stain.

Your stone restoration person should have come up with a successful test during his initial visit. That being said, if you're comfortable with him, you may want to consider hiring him with some agreeable terms and limitations if he's not successful. It's possible that you have an etch and a stain. Refinishing will help restore the stone if it is etched.

It's very difficult to access your particular scenario without seeing it in person.

At this point you may want to experiment with an extra piece of your stone to check for stain resistance of a chemical itself. Personally I would try using a epoxy and varnish remover. This type of product will be more prone to dissolve and lift a stain, rather than set it. Check on the label and see if it is water rinseable. You can either let the stone naturally, or use a blow dryer.

If the stone returns to it's natural color after TESTing, it should be safe to perform a TEST on a small section of the tape residue on your floor. ONLY if you have a successful result (after drying and no color change, it will be safe to proceed and remove larger sections.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2015, 06:04 PM   #19
digitalshooter

I would not touch it anymore, now you are giving the builder ammo to say: You caused more damage! Just thinking out loud!

I would send him a certified letter saying:

1.) you want it all corrected within a certain time period or
2.) you want payment (include new estimate) to have the floors redone by someone else.

If he fails, go after him!
Unread 03-03-2015, 10:05 PM   #20
PGT

Total shot in the dark but since those lines are darker, try stripping the sealant off that you put on and then re-taping those masking tape lines with some Frog tape or painters tape. Then seal the entire floor with Aqua Mix Enrich 'n' seal to try and darken it.

I would be really careful of what your using to remove sealer though. A good alkaline cleaner may be all you need. Not really sure what you have tried all together.

If that doesn't work, just call Stone Dude and have him do it. He seems to be the go to guy.
Unread 03-04-2015, 06:32 AM   #21
KBsmith

Masking tape

Thank you everyone for your time. I have a plan, and will post the results after completion. I work full time so trying to get coordinated will take a little time.
Unread 03-11-2015, 08:43 PM   #22
KBsmith

Masking tape

Doitright, John would you have a brand of an epoxy/varnish remover that you could recommend ? I have some remnants of my stone to experiment on. Thanks so much.
Unread 03-12-2015, 06:16 AM   #23
zeaflal

A friend the other day happened to mention that Bestine is the perfect tape remover. He claims works fast, leaves no residue, and has no effect on the base material. That seems too good to be true but might be worth a try if nothing else works. He also mentioned it was very flammable - he might have had some experience in that area.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase