Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-19-2013, 08:34 AM   #1
dwharram

Darryl's Shower

sorry for hijacking thread, but I am in the same situation but I had an additional question.
I have been reading and researching this topic for the last 3 weeks.
I have a traditional oatey membrane shower pan, and I want to do kerdi board on the walls.
My question is do I kerdi the mud pan down to within a foot or so of the the oatey drain which will push water further away from the walls and curb. Or would this not be a good practice. The only issue I could see would be that if the water wicks up the mud pan, under the kerdi it might trap moisture. but shouldn't the water go down to the pvc membrane and down to the oatey drain. My shower is an oversized 38" x 87" shower pan with a linear drain
Unread 10-19-2013, 08:40 AM   #2
Deckert
Remodeling and Tile Contractor

Quote:
do I kerdi the mud pan down to within a foot or so of the the oatey drain
No, this is unnecessary and not a good idea.

Also, you can get this moved into your own thread so it will be easier to follow your project.
HeenanGC.com
Deckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 09:05 AM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Darryl.

What Brannigan said.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
dwharram

so do how do I transition to the mud pan from the wall or should I leave a gap? which would have the membrane covered studs.

what is the best option. Kerdi board or concrete board with kerdi membrane covering.
Unread 10-20-2013, 03:18 PM   #5
Richard Tunison
Retired Tile Contractor

Hi Darryl.

It would help us all if you could post some pictures of where you are at now in the project. Use the paperclip icon in the reply box to upload pics. from your computer. If they are 2Mb. or less the forum software will resize them.

As far as wallboard you can use what you want. If use Kerdi board you will not want a water barrier over the studs and the same if you use cement board and Kerdi membrane. You want one waterproofing system or the other NOT BOTH. This creates a moisture sandwich.

Here is a properly built shower such as yours. Did you notch the studs and set back the blocking to accomodate the liner and its associated folds so your wall board won't kick out at the bottom....... you should. Did you use dam corners at the folds over the curb? Did you install a pre slope before the liner was installed?

Just trying to get you going on the right foot.
Attached Images

Last edited by Richard Tunison; 10-20-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Richard Tunison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 06:22 PM   #6
dwharram

I will try to get some pics when I get home the next time.

To clarify, I have not got the pan done yet, so that advise will sure help.

For sure was planning on presloping to attach the drain prior to putting pvc down. which leads to another question.

While building on concrete, some recommend felt under pre-slope, other don't... any thoughts?

as a side note
The only other thing I saw while looking around today was the kerdi ls. to use for the shower pan.

I just would not be able to use the oatey stuff and the linear drain that I already have, as I will have to get a kerdi line.

Or should I just proceed to use a mud pan with, and the pvc membrane.

do the traditional shower pan and the kerdi wall system work well together?
if so do I leave a gap from the kerdi board to the floor pan
Unread 10-20-2013, 11:21 PM   #7
cx
Moderator emeritus

Difficult to answer without knowing what drain you plan to use.

If the drain can be used with a traditional pan liner and second mud floor, you can use whatever wall waterproofing system you like, including just installing a moisture barrier behind a cement board.

You always bond a mud bed to a concrete floor using a slurry of thinset mortar or pure Portland cement in your application. No idea why a cleavage membrane (roofing felt) would have been recommended under a shower pre-slope in your application.

My opinion worth price charged.

Unread 10-21-2013, 01:58 PM   #8
dwharram

after talking to a bunch more people I think I have decided to use a membrane with a mud pan. This will enable me to use the existing linear drain that I have. I will build the pan as Richard described, however I still think I might hang cgc cement board and cover with kerdi membrane.
I have a couple of questions with this:
Should I run my cement board to the membrane sitting on the pre-slope pan, and build the pan right up to the cement board, finishing with kerdi membrane after?
Or should I finish my pan first then put up the cement board cover with kerdi membrane ( if I select this.. how much gap do I leave or do I run the kerdi right down to the pan including the corner trasition to the base?)
Unread 10-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #9
Richard Tunison
Retired Tile Contractor

Which one of these drains do you have?
Attached Images

Unread 10-21-2013, 03:58 PM   #10
dwharram

couple of pics

here is the stage that I am currently at and a pic of the drain that I am planning on using (Aqua Flow Hardware linear drain)
Attached Images

Unread 10-24-2013, 08:01 AM   #11
dwharram

pre-pitch & kirb perfect

For my curb, what is your thoughts on kirb perfect or can I cover the membrane with cement board and kerdi over it?

Also is the dix quick pitch pre pitch kit any help for putting down the pre slope pan under the membrane or is it just a waste of $$?

Sorry also have to ask this question again as well:
Should I run my cement board to the membrane sitting on the pre-slope pan, and build the pan right up over the cement board, finishing with kerdi membrane after?
Or should I finish my pan first then put up the cement board cover with kerdi membrane ( if I select this.. how much gap do I leave or do I run the kerdi right down to the pan including the corner trasition to the base?)
Unread 10-24-2013, 08:10 AM   #12
cx
Moderator emeritus

Darryl, if you are using a traditional pan liner over a sloped mud bed, there is no way you can use CBU on that floor. You must make the second mud bed of a minimum 1 1/2" thickness over the pan liner.

You want your CBU walls to end a half-inch or so above the liner on the shower floor so the bottom will be locked in by the final mud bed.

I don't know what "cgc cement board" is unless you're perhaps in Canada, which I cannot tell by looking at your User Profile, and it's USG's Durock.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 10-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #13
dwharram

So CX. I did not mean to say that I was going to use CBU on the floor. I was going to have the second mud bed made.

So if I have the mud bed made to lock in the walls.

I plan on putting Kerdi on the walls. do I do the corner piece of Kerdi to join the walls to the mud pan?

Yes, I am Canadian.
Unread 11-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #14
dwharram

hopefully starting the pre-slope in the next day or so.

I think I have everything in order.

drain is set, gravel and concrete to fill existing hole around drain, thinset on concrete floor prior to building pre-slope, install liner, put up cbu board on walls and curb ending 1/2" from membrane sitting on preslope, kerdi walls, and curb, finish mudpan, and tile.

Does that sound about right?
Unread 11-06-2013, 11:02 AM   #15
Richard Tunison
Retired Tile Contractor

Almost.

If you attach cbu to the curb you will be poking holes in the liner thus defeating it's purpose. The curb should be made from wire mesh and fat mud.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase