Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
Lex Everything

Tiny Cabin Bath Renovation

Hi all. Rather than posting every time I have a question, I figured I would start a thread.

I am remodeling the bathroom of a small mountain cabin I purchased. I will be using a Schluter pan/curb and Kerdi membrane.

I have corrected the walls/framing, subfloor, plumbing, insulation (denim), and I have the sheetrock hung and finished. Well, not totally detail finished, but enough that I think I am ready to get into finishing the CBU in the shower in preparation for the Schluter pan/curb and Kerdi membrane. It is the only bathroom, so I am looking forward to having a functioning bathroom again and spending some time there this winter

My question today: I know that I will be using alkali mesh tape at the CBU joints, and at the joints where CBU meets sheetrock... BUT...

1) When I tape the CBU/CBU joints, am I basically treating those joints like sheetrock joints and 'mudding' over the tape with thinset to get thinset into the gaps and into the tape mesh? As in... finishing all of the tape joints and making smooth and flush wall surfaces(like the rest of the walls) with thinset BEFORE I get to hanging the Kerdi? Or do I just apply the tape and not worry about thinsetting those joints until i lay the Kerdi over the CBU?

2) How do I address the CBU/sheetrock joints with regard to mud vs. thinset when covering the tape and building a transition? You've got sheetrock on one side (mud) and CBU on the other (thinset). Confused about these transition joints, though it makes sense to me that thinset would be correct.

The tile WILL extend past and cover over the CBU to sheetrock joints, so I really don't know how much I would need to build up/feather these joints, compared to, say, mudding & taping a sheetrock/sheetrock joint. Doesn't seem like I would need a large butt style hump joint if it is just going to be hidden under the tile. But I don't know, so I am asking you guys/gals

Here are some pics of the bath/shower area. Be kind... my first attempt at hanging and finishing drywall.
Appreciate your time and information. Thanks!
Attached Images

Unread 09-05-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

1- Since you are hanging kerdi, there is no need nor desire for mesh tape over the seams. The kerdi provides that function.

2- If inside the wet area, then treat it as a wet area. If in a dry area its dealers choice.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
Lex Everything

Thank you for the reply, Paul.
So if understand correctly... if the two surfaces (CBU and sheetrock) are already flush/level where they meet (as seen in the pic below), then there is no need to build up the joint, as Kerdi will be covering that joint (serving the purpose of the tape) and it will be hidden under the tile.

If, however, there is a tape end (beveled) of sheetrock butting up to cut and squared CBU, then I would just build up the sheetrock slope with drywall compound to be flush with the CBU, right?

Sorry, just covering my bases here.
Attached Images

Unread 09-05-2013, 07:00 PM   #4
Houston Remodeler

STAR Senior Contributor

The bevel part doesn't matter. The first statement is correct.

Did that help?

Unread 09-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #5
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Lex,

You can tape the backer board/sheetrock joint with backer board tape. Bed the part to be covered with tile with Kerdi and the part outside the wet area with drywall compound. The joints inside the shower are treated with thinset and Kerdi.

P.S. Those are really nice pictures.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #6
Lex Everything

Helps a lot. Thanks.

I was wondering (with final wall prep in mind), how high does the Kerdi have to go up the shower walls? Meaning... how many inches above the shower head would be considered wet area? The 'Kerdi Shower Book' says to cut the sheets (when hanging vertically) from the floor to just below the shower head. Does the waterproofing membrane (Kerdi in my case) need not run any higher up the wall above the shower head?

*...and thank you, John!
Unread 09-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #7
Houston Remodeler

STAR Senior Contributor

Some Pro's stop at the shower head. I stop at the ceiling or where the tile stops. Mostly cause lots of folks throw sheets of water around when cleaning or use the hand held wand to rinse the walls.

And its cheap insurance.

Unread 09-05-2013, 07:53 PM   #8
Lex Everything

Gotchya, Paul. I was planning on going up to where the tile stops.
Thanks again for the info/advice!
Unread 09-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #9
Deckert
Remodeling and Tile Contractor

Quote:
The tile WILL extend past and cover over the CBU to sheetrock joints
I didn't see it mentioned above, but in those areas where your CBU meets drywall/drywall mud, I would prime that drywall mud prior to applying kerdi. You don't want to be putting kerdi/thinset/tile over raw drywall mud.
HeenanGC.com
Deckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #10
cx
Moderator emeritus

And I wouldn't worry at all about installing my Kerdi over a joint finished with drywall mud. Difference of opinion.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 09:28 PM   #11
Deckert
Remodeling and Tile Contractor

That drywall is getting finished with something (textured and painted, or tiled over entirely). In either of those cases I would prime the walls. If the walls are getting primed, why would you not do it prior to installing kerdi verus going over bare drywall mud?
HeenanGC.com
Deckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 09:33 PM   #12
Houston Remodeler

STAR Senior Contributor

If those walls are getting painted, I like to at least get a great primer and the first coat on before tiling, if not the finish coat too. Once the paint has dried a few days the extra thinset and grout wipe right off. Of course our usual careful measuring and blue painters tape helps on occasion.

Unread 09-06-2013, 09:27 AM   #13
Lex Everything

Great tips and advice, gentleman! Appreciated!
Unread 09-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #14
Dave Bishop

Recommend that you view the Schluter series of youtube videos on Kerdi installation if you have not done so. Moistening your CBU before applying thinset is mentioned in the first video, and don't be shy about doing each wall with two overlapped pieces of Kerdi. I did my shower that way after realizing I wasn't quite as practiced as the installer in the videos. Finally, you need to invite all of us to your cabin to see your handiwork! Looks great so far.
Unread 10-19-2013, 09:37 PM   #15
Lex Everything

So... long time no postee

I had a plumbing issue that set me back.

Long story short... the guy I hired to do my copper lines completely screwed up. Ugly work... hot line going to toilet... two cold lines to the downstairs washer/dryer closet. Sheesh, I ended up re-piping the house myself.
Anyway, nice & neat and zero leaks!

While I had the walls open (removed all Durock panels), I decided to make sure all was plumb/straight, and I added some blocking.

Reason for the blocking is that I think I might like to try Kerdi Board and not bother with CBU. I read that KB has a bit of flex and proper blocking is a good idea.
I already have the Schluter pan/curb, Kerdi band, and the Kerdi drain.

Had a chat with my local Kerdi retailer, and his price isn't that bad.

My question:

1) If I use Kerdi Board, does it look like I have done a good job with blocking to make for a stiff Kerdi Board wall? Looks solid to me, but thought I'd ask.

2) Is KB fine being screwed (Schluter screws/washers) up against the sloping T&G? Should I dab some Kerdi Fix behind the KB that will be installed over the T&G? T&G is 2" thick with foam insul & sheathing behind.

3) I know I am supposed to use non-modified to do the Kerdi banding, the pan/curb membrane, and set the tiles... but is non-mod still good for larger format tiles? Floor plank "styled" tile that will mimic the T&G pattern of the wall/roof. They measure 5.75" x 23.75" x 5/16"

Retailer recommended Siena Premium Set 550. Don't know much about it.

A couple of quick cell phone pics of the new blocking:
*edit - The KB is no longer an "if", as I now have the KB.
Attached Images

Last edited by Lex Everything; 10-21-2013 at 02:34 PM. Reason: To clean it up
Lex Everything is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase