Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-26-2012, 06:00 AM   #1
Bowtiesarecool

Fixing a shower floor for the In-Laws

So, recently my In-Laws paid some guy $4,000 to install a new vanity, re-tile the floor and tub walls, and put some matching outlet/switch covers in bathroom A; and to re tile a walk-in shower stall in bathroom B.

Barring the fact that they did an awful job, with cracked grout in the corners (job was done in early October), lippage galore, etc. The slope in the shower is so bad, (sorry no photos till I can get back over there later in the week) I offered to tear it up and fix it since having the original guys come back is undesirable. To help imagine before photos, the stall is 4x6', drain is 2' off the wall. The slope is right until you get to the drain. They made a concave well around the drain that extends out to about a 12'' radius. The drain looks like they just screwed it all the way down tight to the top flange, shaped the deck to leave it at that height, then tiled it like that.

Anyhoo, I am going to dig it all out, down to the concrete pad, pull the first row of wall tiles, new preslope, liner, and deck.

The actual question is, I'm having difficulty finding text describing how to do a linear drain, (pipe size, do "They" sell a kit for the transition to a normal drain, etc) and this is getting the 'ol imagination going. Has anyone ever tried something like those infinity tubs that overflow the edges, in a shower? Like a floor sloped from the middle to linear drains on all 4 sides? I am wondering if it can be done with structural foam with channels cut out on the undersides, the opposite of a Kerdi system in essence. I don't intend to do this to my in-laws' shower but I think it's an interesting idea.
Unread 11-26-2012, 06:26 AM   #2
bbcamp

Stanley, all the linear drains I've seen have a nipple or some connection for 2" pipe. The location of the connection varies from one manufacturer to another, and often, the same manufacturer will offer their products with different placement options. If you have a clean slate to work from, select the drain based on other considerations, the work out the plumbing. If the plumbing is the constraint, shop wisely.

You intend to remove the liner? How are the walls waterproofed? You need to consider the entire shower, even if you only remove part of it.

I think the infinity shower has some serious maintenance issues. All linear drains have to have an easy to remove grate because crud will collect under there, and with so much of it, the smell could become an issue. Multiply that by 4, and you have an infinity shower.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 04:15 PM   #3
Bowtiesarecool

They put plastic behind the cbu. Unfortunately, they can't afford to have the tile redone until next year. I told them when I had seen the shower floor that I would fix it asap because it's such a huge dip (Father-in-Law is a big guy and spent 7 months in the hospital last year. Last thing anyone needs is him falling down in there).

I'm not definitely pulling up the liner. I should be able to get the floor and deck mud up without hurting the liner.
Unread 11-27-2012, 05:03 AM   #4
Tim Callaway
Ideal Tile & Stone

Infinity Drain makes a drain that will screw into a two stage drain. My preference is the Schluter line drain witch connects to a 2" pipe with a no- hub connector. The infinity drain will work but there is room for installation error. You drill a hole in the base with a hole saw to glue in male end of two stage drain with PVC glue. It can be done but seems a bit rigged up for my liking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase