Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 12-10-2006, 11:40 AM   #166
Nash

2nd Wash.

The 2nd wash is critical on really glossy tiles. You can get a false sence of clean after your 1st wash.

I'm glad that it went well.

One tip that I've found: When using multiple units try to make your grout joints end at an intersection. Try not to end a batch in the middle of the tile. If I do I clean it out back to the previous intersection. I try to make it random if possible.

If you do, when you start your next unit it is possible that you could see a line between the new batch and the previous batch.

This is a good idea with any type of grout not just SpectraLOCK.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:44 PM   #167
Squiggy

Latasil?

Say Nash; I can't find Latasil locally. The gal at the tile store sold me Color Caulk (siliconized latex) for the shower corner and bottom joint, said it would match my Silver Shadow SpecLock grout. I believe I recall you saying you used Latasil in your own shower. Will it look better and last alot longer without needing replacement than the other caulk?
Old 12-10-2006, 03:04 PM   #168
Nash

100% Silicone

Latisil is 100% Silicone with Microban in it so it won't grow mold or mildew.
It is designed for use in wet areas indoor or outdoors. It should never harden or loose bond.

The one hitch is that it doesn't come sanded or unsanded. It comes silicone.

I think that there are retailers who sell it online. Google will tell you for sure.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:16 PM   #169
Rob Z

Barb,

Latasil gets my . We have used hundreds of tubes of Latasil and on the jobs where I have been back for more work, I'm happy to see that the Latasil still looks great.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:50 PM   #170
Squiggy

Latasil

Rob, would you say it is difficult to use for a novice?
Thanks
Old 12-10-2006, 06:09 PM   #171
Rob Z

Barb

It's hard to say. I think Latasil works generally quite well. I prefer to use silicone over other types of caulking. Try a PM to SS3964spd...he used some Latasil as a DIY'er, and he could let you know his thoughts.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:58 PM   #172
greaper

While we are on the subject of caulk, I have a couple of questions.

First, I used cove base in my shower. Since the floor buts up against the cove base, does that still constitute a change of plane? I thought I just needed the grout at the corners of the walls.

Second, I bought the ColorFast tile and grout caulk. It is the sanded type in the color grout I used, says siliconized, Acrylic. Is this good to use?

Seth
greaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 09:25 PM   #173
Rob Z

Seth

I have used a lot of the ColorFast caulk when other options for matching weren't available. It isn't silicone (as you already know), but I do think it is a decent caulk and holds up well enough.

The only think that I don't like about it is that is continues to extrude out of the gun even though the pressure is off. The rep told me one time that is because there is so much latex in the the caulk.

Technically, yes you shouldn't grout along the transition of the cove base. I don't think many people caulk that, however.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:49 PM   #174
Nash

Perhaps this should be another thread.

RN
Old 12-11-2006, 01:52 PM   #175
Lehighluke

I apply spectralock to large tiles with a grout bag. You can apply it exactly where you need it with minimal wastage. Then I work it in the joint with the corner of a float, or I finger-tool it.

I love spectralock, I think it is a great product
Lehighluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 01:55 PM   #176
Nash

Chinking Gun

I've had a customer have some success with a chinking gun. (I think that's spelled correctly.)

Grout bags are great for really tricky grouting. Like the split face stones out there.

Good trick!
Old 12-12-2006, 07:26 PM   #177
greaper

I have to tell you all that using the freezer trick works great. I put a bag in the freezer after I got done grouting the floor. Then I had to dig out some on the floor where the thinset showed thru. Well, I patched it with the stuff from the freezer and it looks great.

Thanx!

Seth
greaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 09:51 AM   #178
Tim_4_Tile

The Lowe's here stocks Latisil, but not all the colors. I'm grouting with SpectraLock Platinum, so they say I'll have to pre-pay and order a box of 10 tubes of Latisil Platinum at about $7.50 per. I'm not sure how much I'll use, but I doubt it's 10 tubes' worth.

Before I take the plunge, how well will Latisil match the SpectraLock both in texture and color (again, Platinum)?

Our good friends at Lowe's say that Latisil is sanded caulk, but don't worry, SpectraLock is unsanded, so they match well. That's why I'm here!
Tim_4_Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 10:07 AM   #179
prashster

The texture and look of Spectralock dried is quite similar to reg sanded. Bigger risk is matching the color. Only way to know f'shizzle is to spring for a tube and try it. Shoot, for giving you that advice, Lowes should allow you to return a semi-used tube o'caulk. Tell em you bought it that way. Bet they'd buy that excuse
Old 12-15-2006, 10:16 AM   #180
Tim_4_Tile

I think after you've bought your 11th mini of SpectraLock (like me), it should come free.

Not only do they not see it that way, but I have to buy 10 non-refundable tubes.
Tim_4_Tile is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase