Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-04-2007, 02:00 PM   #1
sm11030

Master Bath Renovation

All,

Thank you for being here. This is a great forum. I'm currently in the process of renovating a master bath. I started to regrout the shower walls working with the grout saw from the top of the shower down. When I got to the bottom I noticed the tiles were loose. They just pushed back into the wall. Old story - rotted greenboard behind the tile. I decided to tear out what was there and make it right and nicer looking. I attached some before and "now" pictures below.

I'm replacing the shower base, retiling the shower walls, area around the tub and the floor. The fixtures will be replaced also.

I have learned a lot from reading the threads and FAQ's. I ordered John's book. My original thought was to build my own base, but after seeing what is involved I think it is best for me to purchase one. I'd like to go a step beyond the fiberglass base I removed. A stonger material. The base size is 34x48, center drain. I'm looking to get a solid color, probably in off-white or bone.

Is it appropriate to ask for brand recommendations on this forum? If so, can you let me know what companies are recommended for the base. I have seen Swanstone and Kohler mentioned in other threads.

This project may take awhile for me to get through as it is my first time. I hope you don't tire of my questions.

Thanks in advance,

Scott
Attached Images

sm11030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-04-2007, 02:14 PM   #2
Marge

Scott, welcome to the forum.

We're happy to help. Just keep all your questions about this project on this same thread...it helps to have the history all in one place.

Have you thought about the Schluter pan with Kerdi? You could then tile it quite easily.
Unread 10-04-2007, 07:12 PM   #3
Aeroman

Scott -

Welcome!! It is great to have other newbies. Great pitchers, they LOVE pitchers!!

"Nothing is impossible for the person who doesn't have to do it." (My "day job" mantra).
Aeroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2007, 07:15 PM   #4
opiethetileman

Location: in a closet with a pail of hydroban and a pail of spectraLock waiting to get out.
i would leave the fiberglass pan and tile off that. or look into the kerdi system and go from there. where are you located looks like a typical florida mastic job by the 3 amigos
opiethetileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2007, 07:37 PM   #5
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

If you use the Kerdi system, you'd be best off making your own pan. It really isn't that hard. Think about wet beach sand, it isn't that hard to shape a shower pan with deck mud. The kerdi is not much harder than wallpaper, then you're ready for the tile. Check out the videos at www.schluter.com, then make your decision.

Another possibility is Wedi. Their pans come in more sizes and can also be trimmed to fit.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2007, 08:50 PM   #6
sm11030

Marge and Aeroman, Thanks for the welcome. I'll keep to this post with anything related to this project.

jadnashua, I downloaded the ebook to read tonight after looking at the videos from the Schluter site, and researching the Wedi pans. Johns book is on it's way via special delivery.

All the information should help me make a more informed decision on the base and the rest of the work.

Thanks,

Scott
sm11030 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase