Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-19-2007, 08:38 AM   #1
MiltonMike

shower tiling/grouting order of events?

Hello you helpful people.

Everything's gone great on my walk-in shower tile job so far.

I have a few questions about tiling and grouting but first I'll give you the rundown since I've only posted individual questions so far.

Ripped out old hated cultured marble. Found the leak. (It was a broken pan abutting the curb)

Got everything cleaned. Moved some plumbing. Poured the sloped subfloor. Installed and tested the PVC shower pan liner. Installed the poly barrier on the walls and then the cement backer board. Thinsetted the seams. (but not the corners). Floated the final shower mud bed. I'm very happy with the prep work -- much better than what I would have got from most contractors around here. One guy said I was overdoing it when I told him I floated a mud sloped subfloor -- he was going to put the liner right on top of the wood subfloor.

Laid the floor tiles first. I had to see how they fit. Plus I wanted to see how much of the 2x2's I had left over to "play" with on the walls, mixing them in with the 6x6's on the walls.

All the tiles are Castelvetro Salus , a porcelain.

Used Ultraflex 2 to set my 2x2" floor tiles yesterday. 1/4x1/4 trowel, not too thick, 1/8" grout lines. Seems a bit "flexy" underfoot today so I think I'll let it cure another day before I walk around on it.

So when I get back in there tomorrow, I could tile the walls and then grout everything. Or I could grout the floor.

How soon after I grout the floor can I walk on it to tile the walls? The guy at ColorTile sold me a sanded Polyblend grout. Any reason not to use it?

Is it important to test a few porcelain tiles to make sure the grout cleans off of it without needing a tile sealer? I wouldn't guess this tile is porous on top (it's fairly smooth, but not so slick someone would slip in the shower).

This Polyblend package says it has inhibitors for mold. Should I seal the grout anyway?
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-19-2007, 11:28 AM   #2
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Feels flexy underfoot doesn't sound good, hopefull there aren't any humps in pan causing thin mud to flex, this will break up later..I would use that grout, and not preseal. Also i would walk on it next day,and seal the grout.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2007, 01:19 PM   #3
MiltonMike

Quote:
Feels flexy underfoot doesn't sound good, hopefull there aren't any humps in pan
No it's definitely the thinset. That pan is hard as a rock, scraped smooth. When I was on the tiles earlier today in my bare feet I felt individual tiles "give" just a tad, as if I was squishing them down into the thinset a bit, so I checked and yes there was a smidge of a low spot where I had stood.

Thanks for the advice. I'll seal the grout. I'm lazy, but I'll do it to avoid work later.
Unread 09-19-2007, 02:40 PM   #4
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Good,typically a high content latex thinset like that will take longer to set. Hopefully you didn't break the bond of those tiles,they may come loose later, if so.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2007, 02:41 PM   #5
MiltonMike

Better Bench - prevents expansion joint in that corner?

Hi you helpful experts.

Everything has gone great on my shower install. I'm going to take some pictures so you can see what I did.

I was tiling the Better Bench this afternoon and started thinking about how solid the bench is in there. I screwed it into studs at all 3 points of the triangle. Plus I used some thinset to anchor the 2 back faces of the triangular bench to the tiles in that corner of the shower. So I think it's in there really solid.

Uh oh. I was planning for that corner of the shower to be filled with an expansion joint, not grout. I don't think that wall will move so I guess I could grout that corner, but that goes against the practice of using expansion joints on all 4 corners of a shower.

Should I have used silicone instead of thinset when I fastened the bench to that corner? I'm worried I've made a very solid bridge across an expansion joint. Am I over-thinking this?

So I checked the website and I think the instructions there are different than the sheet that came with the bench. Pretty sure the sheet that came with the bench gave me the option of tiling the corner walls first, then fasten the bench. That seemed like neater tiling than putting the bench in first and then tiling the walls -- creating one more thing to have odd-shaped tiles around.

Gotta go to baseball now. I'll check for replies later tonight.
Unread 09-27-2007, 04:11 PM   #6
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

You can retrofit a Better Bench into an existing shower anytime; it does not need to be tiled in, saving a lot of cutting and fitting. Correctly installed, it is plenty strong when you use the supplied anchors. All they say is to run a glob of silicon into the holes when tightening it down and the put a bead along the top to direct water into the deckmud rather than behind the frame.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase