Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-13-2006, 06:48 AM   #1
bunt

Fiber tape for hardi?

I just finished installing ditra in the laundry, mbath, and guest bath. I had the ditra left over from the last job. Unfortunately, I have the foyer to do and I am out of ditra. I am planning on using hardi just because I can get it locally. Theres only about 5 sheets or so I need to install, but I am not looking forward to it,.....I think the ditra has spoiled me. In the past when I installed hardi, I put the tape on as I installed the hardi. This unfortunatley leaves a "hump" to deal with when tiling. Does anyone install the tape as their doing the tile? You know, comb out the thinset then lay the tape down before you set your tile. I wonder if this produces the same integrity as installing the tape directly to the hardi during installation?
Unread 12-13-2006, 07:26 AM   #2
Splinter
Kitchen & Bath Remodeler Long Island

Taping while tiling is the best way to do it... I believe most of the guys here do it this way...
Unread 12-14-2006, 12:06 AM   #3
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi Larry,

Taping on the fly is how I do it, too.

But have you checked your local Home Depot for Ditra? Not all, but some including the stores by me, are stocking small rolls of Ditra. Or you could always contact Tile Experts for whatever amount you need. They are more than happy to do that for you.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2006, 04:49 AM   #4
SteveG91
Tile Man -- Oakland, CA.

Whenever I used to tape on the fly, too many times would I forget to tape then what, lift up tile-tape and recomb etc......or try to not forget anymore....... the other thing is when I remember, what to do at straight edge????? either have tape hanging over or end it at straight edge, then start a new piece....so many interruptions in tape what's the point of taping then????????? so now, ( well actually now it's usually ditra!!!!! but same principle on walls ) I tape before tiling and sponge down the thinset till it's almost non-existent (so no hump) and figure when I tile the new thinset will bond to tape and it'll be fine. Just how I do it........
Unread 12-14-2006, 07:31 AM   #5
bunt

Tool guy, hd by me does not stock ditra. However, I did see that "custom products" is making something similar to ditra called "easy mat". I wonder whether hd will start carrying this product since they carry their thinset and grout?
Unread 12-14-2006, 09:23 AM   #6
Splinter
Kitchen & Bath Remodeler Long Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
Whenever I used to tape on the fly, too many times would I forget to tape then what, lift up tile-tape and recomb etc......or try to not forget anymore..
Hmmmm.. You remember to put on underwear each morning, dontcha?

Seriously, it's such an important step, so it's always on my mind.

Quote:
the other thing is when I remember, what to do at straight edge????? either have tape hanging over or end it at straight edge, then start a new piece....so many interruptions in tape what's the point of taping then??
I dont follow... Every seam gets covered with tape as I tile... Can you explain the problem with a little more detail for us slow folks?
Unread 12-14-2006, 09:28 AM   #7
Skibumm

I am getting ready to tape and would love a once over on how exactly you guys do it. I percieve that I will lay a bit of mud down lay down tape and then screed with a flat trowel or spackle knife. Is it just like drywall but with different mud?
Unread 12-14-2006, 09:52 AM   #8
bunt

I believe most who tape during tiling simply put the tape over the joint, press it down, then thinset over it (while forcing a bit of thinset in gap), then set your tile.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase