Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-01-2006, 09:53 AM   #1
rgwelli

order of floor

Hi all. I am working on tiling my bathroom floor. Could you please advise me if this order of things is correct. I am working with radiant floor heat pad for the first time, and am unsure if I should put the redgard down under it.

Plywood
Thinset
Hardibacker
Redgard
SunTouch heat mat
thinset
porcelain tile.

Thanks in advance. The posters on this site have helped me find lots of confidence to tile a laundry room floor and a bathroom counter and shower surround. I was content to lurk, but was unable to find this doing a search of the forum.

- Gina
rgwelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-01-2006, 10:22 AM   #2
Trask
Oregon Tile Man

Gina,

Welcome..glad you made the transition from lurker.

I'm not sure that you need Redguard under the heat mat, but I also don't know if it could hurt anything. Are you wanting it simply for waterproofing?
Your sequence looks good to me. Plywood, backerboard (with thinset under it), redguard, heatmat, tile....

If no one else sees any incompatability issues with the heat mat and redguard I would still be inclined to contact the manufacture of the mat to get their blessing.

The only other thought would be with regards to the deflection of your floor. Have you checked it out to make sure you have the floor structure to support tile or stone?

http://bergersontile.blogspot.com/
Trask is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2006, 10:48 AM   #3
rgwelli

Thanks for your reply.
Floor: structure good for tile (one of the first things I learned to assess from reading this board).
Redgard: I asked one of my contractors, who I call "Overkill Bill." (I am also having an 17x12 2-story addition built onto the house while my husband is on a one-year remote assignment (military).) He suggested that as long as I let the redgard dry, it would not pose any problems with heat mat. He also said if it were his bathroom he would put a coat of redgard over the plywood (pre-hardibacker) and 2 coats on the hardibacker. I think the 2 coats over the hardibacker is fine - doesn't it just make a fiberglass type seal? I will try to call manufacture of mat today too (good idea - thanks). I just want to do it properly and just once.
Unread 11-01-2006, 10:52 AM   #4
MudMaker
The Revolution has begun/Make America Great Again

Gina
Welcome, glad you came aboard..
I'm with Trask... I also don't know if I'd like to keep heating the Redgard up over and over again with the heating source so close...
Can you give us some more details on your project like what Trask asked the deflecto, plywood thickness, thinset you are going to use, etc.. The guys and gals here always like to have the details so they can follow exactly what you are planning...... and of course, always pictures....
Unread 11-01-2006, 03:02 PM   #5
rgwelli

Trask, Mudmaker,
Thanks for your input. I called the mat manufacturer and spoke with Tony who said he was familiar with using redgard and to put it between the backerboard and the heat mat. He told me the heat from the mat will not degrade the redgard. Interesting.
And thank you for the warm welcome.
- Gina
Unread 11-01-2006, 07:52 PM   #6
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Gina, Welcome.

I was going to say what Tony said. There won't be enough heat to melt anything.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase