Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-24-2021, 07:15 AM   #1
ohliuw

CBP unmodified thinset and Kerdi

My first time doing kerdi shower base. I usually use the LFT CBP thinset with large tiles, but I followed the Kerdi instructions to use unmodified.
I usually mix the mortar the way I like to work with, but this time I decided to follow the instructions on the bag, which said 5.7 litres per bag.

I am not sure if there is a typo, but I could not even mix it properly - my drill wouldn’t even spin - so I added extra 0.5 litres and managed to somehow mix it. It ended up very hard to work with, I was barely able to set the shower pan and to install the Kerdi corners, then had to throw out the rest (I was planning to lay the tiles at the same time, which obviously didn’t happen). So my 2 questions are:

1. Why the recommended ratio didn’t work for me? Should I go by feeling when I lay the floor tiles?

2. Kerdi says to use unmodified thinset, but on the curb and on the walls at the bottom where I have the Kerdi band I need to use 4x24 tiles, and the unmodified thinset is only good til 15”, so what thinset I use for those?

Thanks
Unread 07-24-2021, 07:57 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

What unmodified thinset mortar from Custom did you use, Cleo?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2021, 08:00 AM   #3
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Probably Customblend. Only unmodified they generally stock. Worst stuff I've ever seen...

Mapai makes a good, unmodified morter.
Unread 07-24-2021, 08:31 AM   #4
ohliuw

This one:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/cus...-kg/1000173400
Unread 07-24-2021, 08:50 AM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

That mortar is no longer available south of the 39th parallel, Cleo. When it was available, it was the only useful unmodified mortar in the Custom line. Not great, perhaps, but usable.

There have been times when we've found serious discrepancies in the printed instructions on the bags of thinset mortars, particularly in the amount of water required. I cannot say that's what you're dealing with there, but you might check the bag instructions against the most current online published specs.

There are thinset mortars that require more mixing time than you would expect and those times are in the instructions. That should not be the case with an unmodified mortar, though, unless I'm seriously out of touch.

We (TYW) strongly recommend reading and following manufacturer's installation instructions, but there are times when it makes sense to deviate from those instructions a bit. Schluter's requirement for unmodified mortars for use with their membranes is one such time in my opinion. Custom's VersaBond works quite well with Schluter's membranes and any other similar membranes. Indeed, all other membrane manufactures require the use of a modified mortar meeting ANSI A118.4 (check your ISO equivalent).

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2021, 10:38 AM   #6
ohliuw

Thanks, will use Versabond for the tiling. I hope the base and the membrane will be ok with the one I used.
Unread 07-24-2021, 10:42 AM   #7
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Are you going to perform a flood test before tiling?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2021, 01:42 PM   #8
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Mixing thinset needs to do several things:
- evenly wet all of the components
- help to break up any smaller particles so it's smoother.

SO, while evenly wetting all of the components in a modified is critical, it can really help even with an unmodified.

FWIW, you need a fairly hefty drill motor to mix a full bag of thinset, regardless of the type. It's important to use the recommended speed, and many smaller drill motors can't turn at those speeds if the load it too high.

If you want a really good example of how mixing time makes a huge difference, try Latticrete's one with some pulverized rubber in it (helps with sound attenuation)...it looks like it will never come together, and then, poof, magic, all of a sudden, it's nice and smooth. Messes it up if you add extra water at the beginning because you think it's too dry.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase