Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-07-2021, 04:14 PM   #1
zink88

Shower Glass Panel

Our shower curb is 93" in length and the plan is to install a single glass panel 63" wide and 78" high with a 30" opening at the opposite end of the shower head thinking we won't need a door.

I would like to install a frameless shower panel with 2 clamps on the vertical wall (right side of picture)...but am unclear the best way to attach it to the curb and whether or not additional support will be needed at the open end (left side of the panel) opposite where it is attached to the wall.

The curb is a solid piece of quartz 3cm thick (~1--3/16") on top of 1/2 kerdi panel over (3) 2x4s.

The glass installers who have come out recommend horizontal fastening on the curb by either

* 2 clamps with 2" screws with silicone in the hole prior to the plug, after the plug/before the screw, and then around the screw head...or

* 3/4" channel using some type of two-sided tape that supposedly has very strong adhesive with silicone in the channel and on the inside and outside edges of the channel where it meets the quartz curb.

I'm not too crazy about either option as the first option penetrates the waterproofing on a horizontal surface and the second option doesn't look as nice and provides multiple areas for mold growth.

I have seen a recommendation on this site to not use clamps or channel but instead set the glass panel on clear plastic risers and then silicone under the glass and allow to cure with the risers cut flush to the glass edge on both sides.

For a large 63" wide by 78" high panel...what do you recommend?

Also, would additional support (either vertical or horizontal) be needed at the open end of the glass?
Attached Images

Unread 07-07-2021, 06:10 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I've never done it but I've heard of using epoxy to hold the clamps to the quartz along with short screws. I would not let them drill thru the waterproofing no matter how much silicone they want to use.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2021, 07:22 PM   #3
Gozo

I’ve done exactly what Davy says above. It’s rock solid. I would however recommend some kind of horizontal top support for the top part of the glass; either with a channel or through hole mounted into the glass. Tempered glass is strong until it hits the fatigue point, and then it fractures into a billion little pieces (by design). If the top outer edge isn’t supported, it’ll have a tendency to wobble just a bit. Take a flop in the shower and you’re wet, naked, and covered in bits of glass. Not a good thing. Take a look at some of the Vigo or similar shower glass products to get some ideas of what may work for you from a functional as well as aesthetic point of view.
Unread 07-08-2021, 04:14 PM   #4
zink88

Jeff,

Did you use epoxy only for the clamps...or did you also use short screws? If screws also, what length screw?

Of the supports I have seen, the vertical support screwed into the ceiling with clamp over the top edge of the glass is the least obtrusive...but probably doesn't provide the same level of support as the larger ones that come further down and are mounted through holes in the glass. Have you used either of these types of support?
Attached Images

Unread 07-08-2021, 07:54 PM   #5
Gozo

Yes, I only used the epoxy for the mounting brackets. The screws were used only as studs, the holes were made a bit wider than the threads so there’d be no “bite”. The epoxy filled the holes and under the bracket and the hole thing squished together. Neither the screws or the holes in the curb went all the way through, so I guess about 1/2” of penetration into the curb sill material. I have some pictures down the page in my build thread:
https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin...=121365&page=9
I was thinking something like you’re showing with the vertical ceiling mount, but horizontal from wall to wall. That way if you find that too much water makes it’s way out of the open end (or you get a bit drafty), you can add a shower curtain.
Unread 07-09-2021, 06:28 PM   #6
pls

It is probably too late to change the dimension of your glass but have you considered going all the way to the ceiling and use a clip to support the outside edge.
Attached Images

Unread 07-09-2021, 08:55 PM   #7
zink88

Jeff,

I reviewed your post and see the horizontal through-the-glass support you used in your shower. Very nice work and a lot of good information in that thread. In my case, a horizontal support like yours would be 93" long which I would think would be more visually overwhelming than the vertical support.

Here is a link to the vertical support with two through-glass holes recommended by an installer who agrees not to penetrate the waterproofing in the curb. This is the same support shown in the picture I posted with two fixed panels.

https://www.dkhardware.com/brushed-s...RoCLhQQAvD_BwE

The alternative, as you mentioned, is to mount a channel at the top of the fixed panel from wall to wall which would probably provide more support than the proposed ceiling mount...but I'm not sure which would look better. I think he said the channel would be 1.25" deep. The hardware finish under either option will be chrome. Under either scenario, we can come back and add a wall mounted 30" door on the left-hand side if we find too much water is getting on the floor or it is too cold in the winter without a door.

Any reason you would choose the channel over the ceiling mounted support or vice-versa?

The installer is giving me two options for support at the curb. Either two clamps held in place by screws that penetrate no more than 1/2" or 3/4" into the solid quartz piece which is almost 1-3/16" thick or set the panel on plastic spacers and silicone to the curb with no clamps.

He is hesitant to use epoxy not having experience with it and concern of how it would hold up over time to water and any cleaning chemicals.

He indicated the clamp method would provide more support and that if we mounted it with no clamps and only siliconed it to the curb, the silicone adhesive bond could lessen over time.

He also indicated I could initially forego silicone under the panel at the curb with the horizontal clamp installation and only add silicone if I find water is getting out from under the glass onto the floor. I like that idea as less silicone could mean less possibility of dirt accumulation/mold growth. Your thoughts?

Phil,

The option of installing glass up to the ceiling was presented by another installer...but I wanted an opening above the glass for steam to escape. My ventilation fan is outside the footprint of the shower.
Unread 07-10-2021, 07:44 AM   #8
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
+2 on Jeff's recommendation on using the screws as studs set in epoxy.

Depending how wide the shower is you might indeed get away with not caulking the glass to curb gap, and I'd certainly want to try.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2021, 11:14 AM   #9
Gozo

So long as you don’t have an unsupported corner of the glass; whichever mounting works, is secure, and suits the aesthetics, should be good. My only concern about the “wait and see” with the caulking around the glass, is that when you see that more water than you want makes it through; there’s already going to be some film of crap and soap scum in all sorts of areas you can’t get 100% clean without removing the glass . That’ll act as a bond breaker with the silicone.
I used a “water clear” silicone around my glass. It was “CL” or “CR” something or other. Haven’t seen a speck of mold on it. I did have mold issues with the colored to match the grout silicone, so some are obviously more mold prone than others. Sounds like you’re on your way; keep up with the pictures.
Unread 07-14-2021, 06:09 AM   #10
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Valid point about deposits being a bond breaker but I think just taking a "mock" shower or two, without the use of products, would be a sufficient test.

Like yours, Jeff, my 57" ish long glass panel was sealed to the end wall, top cap and end of of my pony wall, and to the shower floor with clear silicone (brand I don't recall) and there has been zero mold. But I also squeegee every thing every time so I'm sure that helps.
Attached Images

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase