Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-21-2021, 03:07 PM   #1
idred

is it normal for new bathroom to have construction smell for over a year?

I installed a new bathroom and tiles.

I have noticed that a year later the bathroom has a bit of a construction smell to it, that is the best way I can describe it. The bathroom is not used yet and I don't even have the shower hooked up yet or the bathroom sink. There is just a toilet that is not used more than a few times a week. The tiling is finished and everything is painted.

Is this smell normal with new bathrooms?

Is this just the off gassing of the thin set and other building materials that will cause the bathroom to smell like this even over a year later?
Unread 07-21-2021, 03:20 PM   #2
Just In Tile LLC

Edward I would like to give an answer to this, but not smelling the bathroom myself I just can't think of the correct response to your question... my gut says a new car will smell new until it is used
Unread 07-21-2021, 03:40 PM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

What Justin said. I've done a lot of residential construction, but I'm not sure what a "construction smell" might be. Seems to be different things depending upon what stage of construction we're in.

This bathroom is a project you did and for which we have a project thread? Might give us some hints about the products you were using.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2021, 04:53 PM   #4
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

In a year or so (often less), the traps could dry out, so I'd make it a practice to pour a cup or so of water down each trap every couple of months. In some places, the sewer gas smells can be overpowering, but may not be bad.

But, most construction materials tend to outgas in a few months. As said, without being there, hard to identify.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase